Where you read it first | Saturday, March 2, 2024

Ishaan Rajiv Rajabali

News Editor

Ishaan Rajiv Rajabali is a sophomore studying political science. Ishaan can be reached at ishaan_rajiv.rajabali@tufts.edu.

Brown and Usually Blue column graphic
Columns

Brown and (Usually) Blue: ‘New Kings of the World’

“Every day, 14 to 15 million Indians go to the movies. India produces between 1,500 and 2,000 films a year — more than any country in the world.” The first section of Fatima Bhutto’s book, “New Kings of the World: Dispatches from Bollywood, Dizi, and K-Pop” (2019), dives right into an astute analysis of Bollywood, one of its three subjects. The fact that the Hindi film industry brought in a whopping $1.3 billion in 2023 only affirms the global scope and influence Bhutto examines in her book.  

Demonstration_against_the_war_of_aggression_Russia_against_Ukraine_(52114809884).jpg
Arts

For the love of art: A testament to the truth

On Feb. 24, 2022, Vladimir Putin escalated the Russo-Ukrainian conflict, launching a destructive invasion of Ukraine that haskilled tens of thousands and displaced millions of innocent civilians. The invasion elicited a round of international condemnation and calls for action; sanctions were imposed and accusations of genocide were brought forward.

b18e0a82-3374-4183-9377-d1c6052218f3.sized-1000x1000-fotor-20240212225527.png
Columns

Brown and (Usually) Blue: Imagining the environment

My room back home in Bombay (or Mumbai, depending on who you’ve heard it from) faces the Arabian Sea. I’ve gone to sleep listening to the soothing lull of waves since before I learned the meaning of the word, walked past couples posing against clear blue skies and admired crimson west coast sunsets, especially since my foray into Instagram. But the rose-tinted glasses (or filters, if you will) of social media can’t hide the reality of where we’re headed.

Nicole_Kidman_(29901107828).jpg
Arts

‘Expats’ review: Three women and a baby

Warning: This review contains spoilers for the miniseries “Expats.”  The first episode of the miniseries “Expats,” directed by Lulu Wang and based on Janice Y. K. Lee’s novel “The Expatriates,” premiered on Jan. 26. Following an array of expatriates in Hong Kong, the ...

Golden_Globe_Awards_signs
Arts

The 81st Golden Globes monologue: Barbie banter, co-writer slander

The onset of the new year heralds the coming of awards season, which typically kicks off with the annual Golden Globe Awards. Aside from bets and predictions about winners and nominees, the most anticipated aspect of these awards is perhaps the opening monologue. From Ricky Gervais’ acerbic, brutal roasts to Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s side splitting chemistry to Seth Meyers’ dry wit, each year has provided the internet with endless meme fodder and some hard-hitting truths. Jo Koy’s introduction at the 81st Golden Globes also followed this trend, albeit not in the way one would think. 

the exorcist movie.png
Arts

WEEKENDER: Revisiting ‘The Exorcist’ on its 50th anniversary

Imagine a typical wintery day in 1974 — the new year has set in, the holidays are almost over and you want a last hurrah before returning to the rat race. At the cinema, a poster of a mysterious man shrouded in the glow of a lamppost catches your eye, and warnings from quaking cinemagoers only deepen your resolve. Perhaps you are in need of a thrilling watch or are seeking to ruin your sleep schedule (and sense of inner peace, temporarily). Whatever the case, in you march, popcorn in hand.

tisc.jpeg
University

Solomont Speaker Series: Jodi Kantor on investigative journalism, breaking the Harvey Weinstein story

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jodi Kantor visited the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life on Oct. 11 for the first installment of this semester’s Solomont Speaker Series. Kantor is best known for her joint investigative reporting with fellow journalist Megan Twohey, which exposed Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein’s long history of sexual harassment. The two are credited with playing a pivotal role in the emergence of the #MeToo movement, and co-authored a book together titled “She Said” (2019), which follows their reporting.  

tamasha.jpg
Arts

WEEKENDER: Tufts Tamasha on working it, winning

What does “Tamasha” mean? Ask a Hindi speaker, and they will probably define it as a commotion or a hullabaloo. But probe a little deeper, let it fall on your ears a couple times, and the word is suddenly much more. It can refer to a form of folk theater full of song and dance, or it could be excitement, or it could be loud, colorful bustle. In this pocket of Massachusetts, it applies to a Bollywood-hip-hop fusion dance team. Just like its namesake though, there’s a lot more to this team than “thumkas” and tasteless “jalebi baby” jokes.  

More articles »