Op-ed: A very different Dowling Hall

On Apr. 1, I saw on one of the most beautiful things I've seen in Tufts — the transformation of a place often thought of as the epitome of paperwork and bureaucracy into a place for genuine connection and inspiration.

When we shared with our friends that the Art in April kickoff event would take place in Dowling, many asked us again "Dowling?" We don't think of Dowling as a place for that kind of thing, do we? If anything, Dowling is the perfectly ironic place for an exhibition themed "Art as a Therapy" because it may as well be the main reason therapy is needed for students in the first place. It is a physical manifestation of the larger culture in many selective universities: high achieving, ambitious mentality that puts enormous pressure on students to produce and perform. Academic support exists because someone in authority believed a student's performance wasn't satisfying enough. Career center is filled with anxious young people coming in to get instructions on how to get ahead of the career game. Worse, bureaucracy does suck the life out of people who are in it. One of my friends shared with me that someone in Dowling had once said to her in resignation "Life is a bureaucracy." These cynical views are not completely false. But they are not completely true either.

Dowling was different on Apr. 1. Within half a day, the place was transformed. Powerful artwork was up on the corridors. Study abroad & company talk rooms were transformed into a yoga studio and mini theater for video art. The reception area became the gathering for an appreciative audience and a stage for artists' monologues and lively music later on. As the gorgeous sun came down, music deepened. Talented musicians shared their passion for music with the audience in an intimate space. People sat on chairs, spread on couches or stood behind; all engaged, connected. Many of our eyes were glowing.

At one moment in the music, I looked up to the ceiling and noticed how beautiful Dowling Hall was - high glass ceiling, wide open space, great lighting and I thought: This is it. This will be our little contribution to transforming our relationships with Tufts. If we can use this space more regularly to bring together and showcase students who are genuinely passionate about their work — whether it's art, music or dance or science or languages or any cause, we can create a stronger sense of Tufts community. It will also help change the not-so-great perception of many Tufts students have with "The University Bureaucracy".

Dowling doesn't have to be thought of as just about paperwork and bureaucracy. After all, it is considered a center for student services. It could serve students better. We can reimagine and revitalize the space by bringing a different energy to it — an energy of openness, authenticity and genuine connection instead of close-mindedness, formality and superficiality.

After the event, the only TUPD officer there told us that it was a "stress-free" event for him, that he enjoyed seeing the artworks and the live music. It was perhaps the best compliment we got yesterday: he had the time to appreciate the arts we brought instead of worrying about nasty things happening!

As organizers, we first worried that the space was too small for loud music. It turned out to be the perfect constraint: the small size allowed us to have quality music and intimate audience interaction. We learned from the experience that when we could bring people who shared similar spirit of service, we can trust that good thing would happen, and we want to invite those of us who are passionate about our work to reach out, collaborate and co-create on this beautiful space. Together, we can have a very different Dowling Hall.

Editor’s note: If you would like to send your response or make an Op-Ed contribution to the Opinion section, please email us at tuftsdailyoped@gmail.com. The Opinion section looks forward to hearing from you.