Murphy's Law: The death of the liberal

I came to Tufts a proud Democrat and confident progressive. As a result of liberal identity politics, I will leave in May without a clear political identity. This is why the Democratic Party cannot win elections and someone like Stephen Miller can end up a senior White House official.

Progressive icons like Roosevelt, Johnson and Obama were not litigious or ill-tempered. They were tactful and compassionate. Liberalism pursues the greatest good and helping those that need it most. The mid-20th century was a progressive halcyon, built on union workers and farmers, the same voters that increasingly provide the foundation for Republican elections today.

Identity politics pigeonholes beliefs based on personal identities and creates divisive absolutism. The new liberals fight themselves to see who goes the farthest left, regardless of where the solution lies along the way. When coming to the political table viewing policies only from the perspective of your interests and not from what best benefits society, the compromise that built our nation becomes a betrayal of identity. Telling someone that they can never understand one’s issues because they do not share that person’s identity only alienates fellow citizens.

If we want greater equality, reformed taxes, better healthcare and stronger education, we need to engage the entire country, not divide with vitriol. Stressing what divides us is killing the progressive agenda. We are obligated to eliminate societal barriers and inequality, but we need to do so while not automatically sidelining anyone who disagrees. We should contextualize societal problems based on common ground. Playing the identity game just pushes people further into their own corners and farther away from progress. That is not how we improve life in America for those that need it most.

By emphasizing identity in crafting political arguments, liberals undermine the progress for which they work. Do not shout down political opponents. Approach political discussion as an American concerned about fellow Americans. If we cannot engage people because they do not share our problems, surely we can engage them based on what we do share. We need not abandon what makes us who we are, but we must not hold it so blindly that we block out different ideas. Slightly compromising one’s values is not weak; it is how one’s values end up in real legislation. By emphasizing commonality and tapping into empathy, we can have meaningful political engagement, not just a race to label opponents as crazy or evil. And yes, we will all have to compromise, even with conservatives.

Why do liberals lose? Because their new idea of political progress is, “as an X, I am offended that you do B.” This only pushes opponents further right. Though sometimes for the wrong reasons, Republicans are uniting normal people behind straightforward messaging. Democrats will continue to lose until they return to playing the common good instead of identity. A good argument will convince people regardless of the arguer’s identity. After all, one catches more flies with honey than with vinegar.

For more ideas on identity politics and some of the inspiration for this column, read Mark Lilla’s "The Once and Future Liberal: After Identity Politics."