Police briefs: Week of 10/3

Step 3: Profit

After falling for a sublet scam, a student reported the incident to the Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) at 9:15 p.m. on Sept. 28. The student said they had received an initial payment with an excess amount of money from the scammer in the form of a fake check. They were asked to return the extra money and emailed numerous questions asking about the property to make everything seem legitimate. Most of the contact occurred through email. The scam, which involved a third party sending the renter a check, resulted in the renter losing money equal to the excess amount from the check. The TUPD recommends students verify the identities of their fellow renters and subletters, preferably in person.

[Exit]

TUPD officers responded to a call at Harleston Hall at 12:36 a.m. on Oct. 1. When they arrived, they noticed that a fire exit sign had been maliciously damaged. TUPD is investigating the incident.

Brownie Points

On Oct. 1 at 1 a.m., TUPD officers observed a student walking back and forth crying at the corner of Professors Row and Packard Avenue, appearing to be in distress. She attempted to get into the police cruiser. The officers conducted a well-being check on the student and discovered that she had been at a party where she had consumed edible marijuana. She was transferred to a hospital for further treatment.