Letter from the Managing Board: Looking back on Daily Week

To our readers,

In case you didn’t notice, the Tufts Daily has been talking a lot about itself this week. While keeping up with our usual content, we have added Tufts Daily-focused content to our paper and social media feeds in order to share more about the work we do and give our readers an inside look into the process. With the help of a dedicated Managing Board and Executive Board, we ensure that our publication aggregates the best of Tufts students’ writing, photography and graphic design into a comprehensive daily paper.

We consider this week an important opportunity to share content that looks back on our history, honoring our persistence as a financially independent and entirely student-run media organization that will be celebrating its 40th birthday next year. Our Daily Week content introduced you to the arts editors and the Managing Board. You have had a chance to get to know athlete-journalist Jeremy Goldstein, look at photos from last week’s Executive Board bonding and look back at the top five news stories of the semester so far.

In today’s media landscape, publishing a print paper is increasingly challenging. Though we made the necessary financial decision last semester to print four (instead of five) issues each week, we are proud that we continue to produce a daily paper. We remain the smallest college in the U.S. with a daily print paper.

The staff of the Daily represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We pride ourselves on our ability to make jobs at the Daily accessible to any Tufts student who expresses interest. Each semester, we offer stipends to members of our staff who demonstrate financial need. Still, we are aware that we have miles to go in terms of inclusivity, and we have been working with the Office of Equal Opportunity and other campus organizations to ensure that our coverage is balanced, fair and representative of the Tufts community.

Financial independence is critical to our operations because it protects our editorial independence. Because we are not — like many papers — reliant on subsidies from the institution we report on, the information we provide is as unbiased as possible.

We encourage you to donate to our publication so that we can keep doing what we do without financial assistance from the university. Visit tuftsdaily.com/donate to make your contribution.

Sincerely,

Managing Board

Elie Levine, editor in chief

David Levitsky, managing editor

Anita Ramaswamy, managing editor

Daniel Montoya, production director

Luke Allocco, associate editor