Where you read it first | Tuesday, May 14, 2024

T Time: Double feature — Copley and Washington Square

T-time column graphic
Graphic by Emma Selesnick

My mom visited this past weekend, and we decided to spend the day in Boston. During our excursion, we traveled to two different MBTA stations: Copley and Washington Square. When considering what to write this week’s column about, I could not choose which station to cover, so I decided to cover both! For those interested in visiting Copley, take the Green Line straight from Medford/Tufts for a trip around 35 minutes long. To get to Washington Square, take the Green Line from Medford/Tufts and then transfer to the Green Line C Branch anywhere between Government Center and Copley to complete your trip.

First, Copley. Located right near its namesake, Copley Square, there is a ton to do around the station. Emerging from underground, you are greeted by the magnificent Boston Public Library. With a dark academia-esque older section and a new, modern section, the BPL is a fantastic place to escape campus and get some work done. Just make sure to get there early in the day because it can get crowded quickly. If you walk one block north of Copley, you will arrive at Newbury Street, which has seemingly every store one could want. So, whether you are looking to purchase something or just to window shop, Newbury Street is a great place to take a stroll. Copley also has a number of good places to eat. Most may know the station for being home to Cava and Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers, but I recommend stopping at Cafe Landwer. While it is on the pricier side, it boasts some of the best Mediterranean food I have had in Boston.   

Next, Washington Square. My mom used to live near the station, so we decided to visit and take a trip down memory lane. After Kenmore station, the T emerges from its underground tunnels and meanders its way through Brookline. As a public transit enthusiast, I was overjoyed to see the T so well integrated into the surrounding neighborhood. Soon we arrived at Washington Square. Once we disembarked, my mom began reminiscing on her time in Brookline and discussed the Chinese restaurant that she used to eat at and the bars that she and her friends would frequent. We turned off the main drag and began to walk on side streets — this is when I fell in love with Brookline. The streets we passed through were lined with gorgeous houses, all with unique colors and architecture. To add to the charm, the hilly nature of the neighborhood created a number of beautiful viewpoints where we could look over Brookline and see the Boston skyline. All in all, Brookline is a gorgeous area which I am anxious to return to, especially once the weather gets warmer.  

I highly recommend taking a Saturday to visit the hustle and bustle of Copley and then finish it off with a walk around Brookline via Washington Square.