Where you read it first | Saturday, July 27, 2024

In the Crease: Jim Gregory Award predictions

Edition Five: NHL Awards predictions.

FIXED graphic for Zach Gerson's column "In The Crease"

Graphic by Richie Han Kyaw

This week’s focus is on the Jim Gregory Award, which is awarded to the best general manager of the season. Each year, one general manager is honored as the best in assembling their team for that season.

Jim Gregory Award Winner: Patrik Allvin, Vancouver Canucks

The Canucks’ general manager, Patrik Allvin, has been instrumental in his team’s success and great turnaround this season. It all started with the hiring of head coach Rick Tocchet, who has clearly put in place a system that works and puts his players in the best positions to succeed. Following this hiring, Allvin made many instrumental moves to bring the team to the next level. A year ago, he traded for defenseman Filip Hronek from the Detroit Red Wings, who has been exceptional for Vancouver throughout the season. In addition, the club traded for center Elias Lindholm from the Calgary Flames, who should be extremely helpful to the team down the stretch and heading into the playoffs. Most recently, and arguably most importantly, the team agreed to an eight-year contract extension with superstar forward Elias Pettersson, which is a vital move for the team’s future. All these moves clearly demonstrate the heavy influence Allvin has had on the Canucks and are therefore why he should be awarded general manager of the year.

Jim Gregory Award Runner-Up: Ken Holland, Edmonton Oilers

Ken Holland should be the award’s runner-up for his role in turning around the Oilers’ season. After a disastrous start to the season, he made the extremely gutsy move to fire head coach Jay Woodcroft, which was gutsy given Woodcroft’s track record of success and winning with the team, and his experience with the players. He then hired Kris Knoblauch to be the team’s new head coach, and they have not looked back since. The Oilers have been very successful ever since the coaching change, including going on a 16-game win streak, which is an incredible feat. Holland also signed free agent Corey Perry at the end of January, who has been a nice addition to the team. All in all, these moves, especially the bold coaching change, have put the Oilers back atop the NHL standings and are why Holland deserves to be in the conversation for the reception of the Jim Gregory Award.

Jim Gregory Award Third Place: Jim Nill, Dallas Stars

The Stars’ general manager has built one of the most well-balanced teams in the entire league. His best move of this season was the signing of free agent forward Matt Duchene in the offseason who has been exceptional for the Stars this season. There are not that many moves from this specific season that stand out; instead, it is an accumulation of Nill’s work from the past few seasons that has put the Stars in a great position to succeed. Most recently, Nill acquired defenseman Chris Tanev via a trade from the Calgary Flames, who will be a great addition to the team’s blue line and adds even more to the well-balanced nature of this team. Nill has been great and definitely belongs in the conversation for general manager of the year.