Where you read it first | Sunday, May 12, 2024

Carm should allow gluten a seat at the table

Carmichael Dining Hall should not be exclusively gluten-free.

42734448_Unknown (1).jpg

Carmichael Dining Center is pictured on April 24.

I lived in Carmichael Hall during my first year at Tufts, so naturally I would frequent Fresh at Carmichael Dining Center. Dewick-MacPhie Dining Center, Hodgdon Food-on-the-Run, Pax et Lox Glatt Kosher Deli and Kindlevan Café were all wonderful options; however, they required a trek downhill and back up again. While all of these locations were admittedly less than a 15-minute walk from my dorm, that journey wasn’t one I was willing to make most of the time, especially not after a long day of classes or on a cold winter night. I was thus stuck with going to Carmichael Dining Center (dubbed “Carm” by many), the only uphill dining option. Unfortunately for me, Carm is entirely gluten-free.

When I ate at Carm, I noticed that although it’s gluten-free, it generally had more creative dishes than Dewick. Some of those dishes, such as the cauliflower gratin or bamboo beef, were quite good, and I was initially impressed by the unique array of food. However, once the novelty wore off, I began to feel the absence of staple foods such as bread and pasta. The gluten-free alternatives provided by Carm were simply unenjoyable. Every couple of months I’d try the gluten-free bread again, thinking it would be better than I remembered. It never was. More often than not I’d leave the dining hall feeling unsatisfied with my meals, sometimes even braving the hike to Hodgdon afterward to pick up something more fulfilling.

This year, I live downhill near a wider variety of food options and can therefore appreciate the relatively few meals I eat at Carm. The current entirely gluten-free menu is good only if you are eating it occasionally. However, for many students residing uphill, Carm is the go-to dining hall. Because it’s gluten-free, Carm is unable to serve foods such as pizza, pasta and chicken tenders in their traditional forms.

As Carm is one of Tufts’ only two dining halls and is the only dining facility located uphill, it should not be completely gluten-free.

About 1% of people in the U.S. have celiac disease and require a strict gluten-free diet. While this statistic may not perfectly represent the Tufts population, it is likely that the vast majority of students would not require a gluten-free dining hall. Carm should adopt a gluten-free station, similar to Dewick’s ALL 9 FREE station, for those with dietary restrictions, without being completely gluten-free. Carm could still commit itself to making the majority of its meals gluten-free, as 20–30% of people in the U.S. choose to follow a gluten-free diet. However, the dining hall should also have basic options with gluten for those who want them.

Diversifying the food available at Carm to include gluten would be a win-win situation. Those who need or prefer a gluten-free diet would still have available options, but those who want a diet including gluten would also be satisfied.

Correction: An earlier version of the article incorrectly stated that about 0.6% of the U.S. population has celiac disease, but studies estimate the overall prevalence to be at least 0.7% or 1%.