Maria Jose Fabre

2016-02-25-Audre-Lord-Exhibit-2-1
Arts

'The Audre Lorde Traveling Exhibit' opens for the last time

The Audre Lorde Traveling Exhibit opened last Thursday, Feb. 25 at the LGBT Center. The exhibit has returned to Boston for its final showcase, where it was originally displayed as a part of the 1990 “I Am Your Sister” conference honoring Audre Lorde — the author, poet, activist and woman. The exhibit will remain open at the LGBT Center through April.

The Setonian
Columns

In class and in coffee shops

This past semester, perhaps more than others, I have felt more American than ever before. The holidays mark my seventh year anniversary in the country. I came to Washington D.C. with my parents almost seven years ago this winter. Now, I am the only representative of the Fabre-Perez de Vargas family ...

The Setonian
Columns

Thoughts while having the flu

A couple of years ago, I got a concussion in West Hall. I just stood up and hit the ceiling. For those who were not there to witness it, it was quite a scandal -- a fire truck, an ambulance and two police cars all arrived on the scene. The Tufts medical team deemed me “incapable of making medical ...

The Setonian
Columns

A call for (awareness of) politicized solidarity

Those who read my column regularly will know I usually make an attempt toward humor. This week, I chose to take a more somber tone. This in part is how I deal with empathizing with loss, but it is also comes from a sense of respect. The atrocities that occurred in Paris, in Beirut and in Kenya have ...

The Setonian
Columns

For the love of the game?

A couple months ago, I was sitting at Mike’s in Davis Square, and there was a baseball game playing on the TV set. It was the middle of the day, and a few customers (plus the cashier) were watching it. It took me a couple of minutes to realize these adults were yelling at a game played by children ...

The Setonian
Columns

Getting to the core: no apple-ogies

In this week’s foreigner’s tirade, I will, let’s be honest, “trash-talk” what has been America’s sweetheart for generations: the apple. I enjoy eating apples as much as, well, any other apple lover. I will also admit that the American cultural focus on apples has brought great things to ...

The Setonian
Columns

Remembering anachronisms

My historical education in many of the Latin American countries where I've lived focused on pre-Columbian Latin America and its colonization until I attended the sixth grade world culture class in Bogota, Colombia.  In primary school in El Salvador, I painted pictures (and stuck cotton balls ...

The Setonian
Columns

False checks

We are no longer in the 1780s. That is clear. Yet for some reason, a significant portion of American political rhetoric still functions as if we were. Portions of the American political spectrum retain the understanding of the United States as a federalist entity. A popular interpretation of the Second ...

The Setonian
Columns

Shutdown, for what?

A quick Google search of the terms “government shutdown” and “other countries” returns an excess of articles from the past five years with pretty much the same title: “Why don’t other countries have government shutdowns?” To me, the question is absolutely ludicrous. You mean the government ...

More articles »