Rabbi Summit nominated for a Grammy

Rabbi Jeffrey Summit can now add 'Grammy nominee' to his titles of executive director of Tufts Hillel and associate professor of music and Judaic studies.

Summit received the good news yesterday on his way to his "Introduction to the Talmud" class. His album, "Abayudaya: Music of the Jewish People of Uganda," released by Smithsonian Folkways, is nominated in the category of Traditional World Music.

The music on Summit's 19-track album is an "incredible blend of Jewish liturgy and African choral singing, Afro-pop and traditional drumming," he said.

An accomplished musician in his own right, Summit does not perform on the album. Rather, he recorded, compiled and annotated the music of the Abayudaya people. As producer, he is the sole nominee for the album.

Since learning of the nomination, he has contacted the performers in Uganda. "They are really excited about this," Summit said.

The Abayudaya live in a remote area of eastern Uganda and number about 600. They have been practicing Judaism since the conversion of a tribal leader in 1917. "I've been doing research on them for the last number of years," Summit said.

Summit wrote an essay based on his research on the mixture of African and Jewish sounds that was included in Richard Sobol's book "Abayudaya: The Jews of Uganda."

"The reason I've loved working with this community is because it challenges stereotypes of who Jews are," Summit said. "It challenges what it means to live in Africa, it makes people think in more expansive ways about culture, religion and music."

Indeed, nominees for the Grammy's traditional world music category all espouse these ideas, according to Jennifer Keppel, an executive assistant of communication at the Recording Academy.

"This category of music [includes music] from all over the globe," she said. "All the nominees reflect the idea of integrating different cultures; an expansion of world culture."

Other albums nominated in the same category include "Raise Your Spirit Higher" by Ladysmith Black Mambazo and "Jolgorio" by Per?? Negro.

The Grammy Awards will be presented on Feb. 13. The winner of the traditional world music category will be presented during the pre-telecast on CBS.