One small step for housing

The TCU Senate and the Office of Residential Life and Learning (ORLL) have made it clear that the University's older dormitories will not be left by the wayside in the wake of Sophia Gordon Hall.

On Nov. 19, the Senate overwhelmingly approved "A Resolution to Encourage the Improvement of On-Campus Housing Options for Undergraduate Students."

The ORLL developed the proposal in the hope that planning improvements can be made to both Wren and Stratton Halls. These plans collectively look to alter housing patterns in a more logical manner, allowing friends and classes to stick together while living on-campus.

Perhaps the largest change will be the "aesthetically-improved" suite-style living in the dungeon-like Wren Hall.

According to TCU President Mitch Robinson, the new configuration will allow "sophomores to live with people they've developed relationships with their freshman year."

Any current resident of Wren can attest to the perils of its labyrinthine layout; its reputation for being antisocial - matched only by its downhill counterpart, Haskell Hall - has made it one of the more undesirable dorms on campus.

The proposal outlined by the ORLL both acknowledges and plans to rectify this problem. While future tenants may not be charmed by the building's awkward layout, the proposed suite-style arrangement will allow students to live comfortably with friends.

The change will undoubtedly make the housing lottery less stressful for rising sophomores. A smoother application process will hopefully make room-switching a thing of the past.

Furthermore, students moving into the new suites may see the added benefits of planned renovations ?  la Latin Way and Hillsides Apartments.

Dean of Students Bruce Reitman alluded to the possibility of installing kitchens in the hall, but would it really be necessary? The ability to claim a Wren suite as a group would do enough to make the dorm significantly more attractive to second-years. And since sophomores will be on a meal plan, are kitchens really necessary?

The need for kitchens in Wren must therefore be fully considered before the University commits to the overhaul.

If Dean of Student Affairs Dean Reitman is right in asserting that "it would be cheaper to knock [Wren] down and start over," then the ORLL must alter their plans.

The resolution also proposes changing all double rooms in Stratton Hall into singles, making the dormitory exclusive to juniors and seniors.

Such a move could make Stratton nicer for those who do end up living there, but is unlikely to draw seniors, who are largely looking to live with their friends in their final year of college, back to campus.

The University has not had enough time to assess the influence that Sophia Gordon Hall will have on the percentage of seniors who live in dormitories. While only 25 percent of all seniors are living on-campus right now, it may take a while to see a measurable effect on students.

Making Stratton exclusive to juniors and seniors, however, will render the hall more desirable to upperclassmen who may be hesitant to move on-campus if it means living with sophomores and residential assistants.

The changes proposed by the ORLL and supported by the TCU Senate signify a small but important recognition of the changes that must be made to older dormitories.

For this reason, the ORLL should be commended for their continued efforts to make residence halls more liveable and desirable.