Town meeting is just the beginning

Yesterday a town meeting was convened in Cohen Auditorium to discuss race relations and stereotyping. Speakers including psychology professors Sam Sommers and Keith Maddox, Dean Robert Sternberg, Professor Jean Wu of the American studies Department, and Lisa Coleman, executive director of the Office of Institutional Diversity were on hand to describe both the underpinnings of racism and the possible steps to combat it.

Certainly it is a positive step when hundreds of people are able to assemble in order to discuss the roots of racism. The first move on any road to recovery is admitting that there is a problem, at Tufts and elsewhere. In fact, an interactive presentation by Maddox and Sommers demonstrated that stereotypes may persevere subconsciously. Awareness of this fact is important as we fight against prevailing stereotypes.

Those in attendance in Cohen yesterday obviously acknowledged that Tufts, and greater society as a whole, has a problem; their mere presence demonstrated their commitment to solve it. The trouble with this situation, however, comes when the preacher realizes that nobody has showed up but the choir. People who attend such meetings are rarely those with race relations problems. We must remember that attention must be turned outwards, as well.

At times, it was - though not in the most positive manner. Although the forum was overall a productive and beneficial event, there was one sour note as some bemoaned the absence of their peers and the inactivity of the administration in fighting against stereotypes and racism on campus.

To counter these charges, it should be said that the administration has been extremely receptive to new ideas and has been proactive in creating solutions; the Telescope Program for prospective students interested in multiculturalism was expanded earlier this year, and the Office of Institutional Diversity was created.

Following the Primary Source carol that created such a maelstrom at our university, President Bacow and his administration condemned the piece and have since been an integral part of discussions fostered in order to better understand and combat negative race situations on campus and elsewhere.

This is the first race-related town meeting that Tufts has held, and it should be gratifying that the event was focused and beneficial. By design, it was an interesting forum for a necessary discussion of race relations on campus and the wider implications of stereotyping in an environment that allowed all to be heard. The event itself was neatly conceived and carried out. It is somewhat unfortunate, however, that the conversation did at one point devolve into a cluster of professors assailing their colleagues and the administration for a lack of attention to the issue.

Instead of criticizing those who were absent, it is important now for the people who attended to reach out to those who didn't and to include them in the dialogue. A forum like this one is a good beginning, but it must be recognized that it is still only a beginning.

The discussion yesterday showed that the administration, the faculty and the students are largely united against the problems we face. It is now vital not only in the context of Tufts, but everywhere, to fight against negative stereotypes and involve others in that same fight.