Women's Soccer | Scoring record, coach's milestone add icing to first-round NESCAC victory

The members of the women's soccer team meant business when they dug their cleats into Kraft Field on Sunday for the first round of the NESCAC Tournament. The Jumbos jumped all over the Conn. College Camels to take a 6-0 first round victory, their second win over the Camels in 22 hours.

"We feel really good that we played so well today," sophomore Fanna Gamal said. "Winning was not enough - we needed to play well so that we could go into next week with confidence, and I think we did that."

The win not only set up the Jumbos for a second-round battle with Bowdoin next weekend, but also marked the 100th career win for coach Martha Whiting.

This is just Whiting's eighth year at Tufts, and thanks to the team's 12-3 record this season, she has amassed 12 or more wins in four different years.

"Martha has been an amazing coach," senior defender Joelle Emery said. "Her 100th win signifies how hard her players want to work for her."

Sophomore Cara Cadigan also made Tufts history in the game, scoring her 15th and 16th goals to make her the all-time single-season goal scorer in Tufts history. Cadigan, in just her first year playing on the team, surpassed the 15-goal mark set by Lisa Raffin (LA '85) in 1981.

"It is really nice to have someone who has such a nose for the goal," Gamal said. "Last year we had trouble finishing, and she is that missing link."

"I think we were all pretty sure that she would break the record," sophomore Jesslyn Jamison said. "It is mostly just a lot of fun that she broke it, but I don't think anyone is surprised."

Cadigan put Tufts on the scoreboard just 12 minutes into the game. Freshman Sarah Nolet crossed the ball to Cadigan, who played it off her chest and one-timed it into the net.

Tufts then added two more goals through just the first 26 minutes, as seniors Lauren Fedore and Emery finished.

"I had a great ball from Ali that came to the top of the 18," Emery said. "I took a touch and then was able to volley it into the upper 90."

Sophomore Ali Maxwell assisted on both of the goals by Fedore and Emery, while senior Rebecca Abbott assisted on three others.

The Jumbos outshot the Camels 14-1 in the first half and walked off the field after 45 minutes holding a 3-0 lead.

"We came out hard and we didn't let down," Emery said. "We clicked with one another and it really showed."

Tufts did not let down in the second half, adding three more goals and continuing its stifling defense. Gamal and Maxwell finished for the second game in a row, while Cadigan also added her second goal of the day.

The Jumbos were taking on the Camels for the second straight day, as they earned a close 3-2 win in New London, Conn. in Saturday's regular-season finale, clinching the No. 2 overall seed in the NESCAC Tournament.

"We came out slow and it took us a little while to settle the ball down," Gamal said.

"In the first half we didn't play as well as we wanted," Emery said. "In the second, we saw glimpses of how we can play together, but never put it all together."

Tufts had no problem scoring on either day, but on Saturday the Jumbos allowed the Camels more chances, as they got off 13 shots compared to just six on Sunday.

The Jumbo effort was bolstered by goals from a trio of sophomores: Maxwell, Gamal and Cadigan.

Maxwell scored the first when she one-touched a shot past the keeper at the top of the box. Cadigan scored the final goal by firing a shot off the post and then finishing the rebound, and she also aided Gamal in her one-timer finish.

"The goal was off a great cross from Cara," Gamal said. "We have been working on that situation in practice, and it paid off."

The team is confident to take on the No. 4 seed Bowdoin at home next weekend. After a tough stretch of games before this weekend, Tufts has managed to build up momentum , which it hopes to carry into the semifinals. The Jumbos beat up on the Polar Bears 4-1 when they faced them Oct. 6, but in the NESCAC Tournament, anything can happen.

"We are excited and ready to play any team," Emery said. "We had a great game against them earlier in the season and we know we can beat them again if we play our game."