From the TCU President | Get involved, know your resources

We use a lot of words to describe what Tufts is. Words like "beyond boundaries," "active citizenship," and "civic engagement." At their core, these terms are what this university aspires to be, but we use them so much that it has become difficult to figure out their exact meanings.

We are at an important point in our history as we continue to become one of the world's top universities. But where exactly are we headed? The individual answer to that question can vary greatly. An IR major will see Tufts differently than an engineer. But, generally, I think we all can agree on afew common visions we have for this university. I'll discuss just a few of them here.

First, our potential as a burgeoning research institution is without limit. But in that process, we also need to make sure students are not lost in the shuffle. Let's make sure Tufts does not lose its undergraduate focus, and that we have the same small-college feel with the advantages of a big university.

Second, the cultural, racial, religious, ideological and political diversity of the student body is expressed best through the number of clubs we have here — and that's terrific. But what is lost when so many activities and so many groups are meeting at one time? What interactions are we missing out on because we cannot be in multiple places at once?

Finally, the new opportunities created by accepting even more qualified students here, regardless of socioeconomic background, excites me more than anything else. But when we welcome new students, how can we guarantee that they can take advantage of everything we have to offer? We need to make sure the campus is aware of class diversity at Tufts.

These are realities we all need to appreciate as Tufts continues on its steep trajectory.

It is our job as the TCU Senate to make sure these, and other student visions for the university, are at the top of every administrator's agenda and reach out to the Tufts community to make sure that the university is providing for every student's need.

Transparency in student government is critical in ensuring needs are heard. That does not mean that we expect our meetings (Sundays, 7 p.m., campus center) to be filled with non-senators every week, or that we plan on waking up every morning to a full inbox (tcusenate@tufts.edu). We just want to make sure everyone is aware of the resources available when there is a problem at Tufts. Senate is the best way to have your voice heard.

We are always looking for student groups outside of TCU government to partner with on projects. For example, you will notice at Fall Ball that we have moved from water bottles to cups and water coolers as a stainability initiative with Tufts Environmental Consciousness Outreach and Think Outside the Bottle. Send me an e-mail if there is any way that Senate can help your group achieve its goals.

I encourage everyone to check out our new Web site, senate.tufts.edu. It provides a great list of resources and information on how Senate works.

I am also launching my own personal blog on life at Tufts; you'll be able to find it at duncanfortufts.com by the end of the week. This blog does not necessarily reflect the opinion of anyone else in the TCU or student government opinion as a whole. It's just a window into my thoughts on what Tufts life is and what it could be. I hope it will engage, question and help create a campus conversation about some important issues.

TCU government is here for all of us. Get involved when and how you want. Let us be a resource.

Duncan Pickard is a junior majoring in history. He is the 2008-09 TCU Senate president.