Men's Track and Field | Team to return early to prepare

The men's track and field team will return from winter break early to prepare for the start of the spring semester, which kicks off with the first of two Tufts Invitationals on Jan. 16 on the indoor track at the Gantcher Center.

This will be the first meet for many of the Jumbos, so the athletes will look to start out the season strong.

"We had some of our guys run this past weekend in our alumni meet, but a good number still haven't put the spikes on yet," senior quad-captain Nick Welch said. "The early return period and the meet that we have during that time will be a chance for the bulk of the team to get going with this year's season."

During the team's opening meet, the Jumbos will look to prepare for the start of their season and focus on coming together as a team.

"The biggest goal that I have for the program between now and when classes start for the second semester is to really come together and solidify and start to really set the tone for what the 2010 team will be," Welch said.

"The track team is really fragmented during the fall, with about half of us doing cross country and half the team getting ready in fall track, but both of those two segments of the team had unbelievable falls, especially in terms in looking of ahead to the track season," he continued. "There is a lot of momentum going into the season, and we're already several steps ahead of where we were at this point this year."

The team's return will serve as a time for the members of cross country to unite with the track team and begin to realize their combined strength for the 2010 season.