Athletes of the Week

Andrea Ferri, Women's Track & field

Senior Andrea Ferri captured the Tufts Pentathlon Friday at the Gantcher Center, blowing away the competition in the shot put as well as scoring runner-up finishes in a pair of events to take first with 3023 points, 108 ahead of teammate and sophomore Nakeisha Jones.

In the shot put, Ferri posted a mark of 10.03 meters, which was nearly two meters ahead of her nearest competitor, Middlebury sophomore Julia Sisson. Ferri, additionally, finished just five-hundredths of a second behind Jones in the 60-meter hurdle and nearly won the 800-meter dash, coming up just over a second short of teammate and fellow senior Kerry Virgien.

The pentathlon victory was a marked improvement over last year's pentathlon, in which Ferri finished second, 500 points out of first.

Ferri also anchored the 4x400-meter relay team, which came in third, and the second-place 4x200-meter relay.

Jon Pierce, Men's Basketball

In the waning seconds of the senior tri-captain's final game at Cousens Gym, junior Jon Pierce made the moment count, deftly dropping in a shot in the paint with 34 seconds left in the fourth quarter to send the Jumbos to a historic 69-68 upset of visiting Amherst.

Pierce, who finished with 22 points and five blocks, helped Tufts end an eight-game losing streak against the Lord Jeffs which dates back to the 2003-04 season. His 15 first-half points kept the Jumbos in the game long enough for Pierce's last-minute heroics, while his defense in the lane helped limit Amherst's offense to just 25 second-half points.

With one free throw in last Tuesday's non-conference matchup with UMass Dartmouth, Pierce became Tufts' all-time leading scorer, finishing with a game-high 24 despite another last-second loss for the Jumbos.

In a 67-62 loss to Trinity on Friday, Pierce tallied 17 points, keeping his scoring average at a team-high 17.8 per game, good enough for fourth-best in the conference.