Emily Maretsky | Nice Shoes, Let's Date

To some people, a blind date sounds like a miserable proposition, but who better to set you up than a friend who says, "I know the perfect person for you!"

On the other hand, a blind date is an interesting adventure and a chance to meet someone new, regardless of the outcome. You run the risk of an awkward hour or two, but on the other hand, maybe you'll meet someone you really click with. And hey, what's the worst that can happen?

Matching people up on blind dates has become my guilty pleasure of the moment. It started a couple of weeks ago when some girl friends and I were joking around about dating, and a guy friend's name popped into my head as an interesting match for one of them.

It seemed perfect: They're both originally from Chicago, had been in the same Jewish youth group and are interested in medicine. I set them up to meet for dinner the following weekend and was probably more anxious about whether the set-up would work out than they were.

The plan was for him to meet her at her house on Saturday evening. That afternoon, I got a few text messages from each party. She asked what she should wear; he asked for suggestions on where to take her for dinner. Half an hour before the accorded time, I texted him her address and first name.

Later that night, he sent me a text message that said, "Haha well done! We had an amazing night." I had barely finished my little victory dance before my phone started ringing. This time, it was my girl friend who called to say that she had a good evening too. Success!

Finally, after meddling in other people's love lives and setting up a few more dates, two friends decided to give me a taste of my own medicine. This past week, I ended up on the receiving end of two blind dates.

One friend, joking around, sent me a mysterious text message with instructions to meet at the campus center at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, dress nicely and wear something blue. "I can at least have some fun doing this, right?" he laughed.

That first blind date was somewhat formal; we drove into Cambridge, where he had made reservations at a restaurant, went out for dessert and got amusingly lost trying to navigate back roads on the return to campus.

The second date was more casual and relaxed, although it started off a little awkwardly when he asked, "Oh wait, do you write a column for the Daily?" I giggled nervously.

After missing the Joey (my fault) and trekking through the pouring rain to a yet-unopened restaurant in Ball Square (my fault again), we ended up seeking shelter from the storm in Mr. Crepe in Davis. We chatted about theater at Tufts, Buddhist meditation and the fact that he's coincidentally best friends with my old roommate.

The two guys were attractive, talkative and interesting (and maybe reading this column right now). I had a great time on both dates, despite their differences, but they were more friendly and getting-to-know-you informative, rather than date-y.

After thinking about my experiences and catching up with the friends that I set up, I feel like the best blind date advice is to relax, be open and not expect anything serious. If conversation is awkward, remember that you can always talk about that friend who set you up or just blind dates in general. Last, if your date is a fellow Jumbo, remember the Tufts mantra — once you meet someone new, you will continue to see them everywhere.

Unlike in romantic comedies, it's improbable that sparks will fly immediately, so I think it's best to take advantage of the opportunity to meet someone new and see where things go afterwards.

--

Emily is a senior majoring in engineering psychology. She can be reached at Emily.Maretsky@tufts.edu.