Theater Feature | 3Ps celebrates centennial this weekend

Since its founding in 1910, Pen, Paint and Pretzels (3Ps) has established a remarkable history that predates the Tufts Drama Department in fulfilling student demands for theater. This year marks the independent student group's 100th anniversary. In order to commemorate this special occasion, 3Ps will be throwing a Centennial Celebration this weekend.

The celebration is as much a reunion for 3Ps alumni as it is an opportunity for all of the group's current members to demonstrate what they have accomplished.

"There is a huge element of thanking all of the alumni who are coming back [to Tufts], because without the work that they put in, we wouldn't have this organization," 3Ps co−chair sophomore Daniel Ferry said. "It's important to us to let them know that the legacy that they have left has not only impacted our lives, but hundreds of students' for a hundred years, and hopefully for another hundred."

3Ps co−chairs Ferry and sophomore Megan Sullivan have been planning this event since September of last year. The 3Ps Centennial Celebration will host a variety of events throughout the course of the weekend, including Saturday workshops with many on−campus theater groups like Traveling Treasure Trunk, Bare Bodkin, HYPE! and Cheap Sox.

The celebration is built around the 3Ps' spring major "SubUrbia," which is meant to showcase the best of what 3Ps has to offer. Performances of "SubUrbia" will take place this Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m., with a 2 p.m. matinée on Sunday. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased at the Aidekman Box Office on weekdays from 9 to 5 p.m.

3Ps will also host a cocktail reception on Saturday night from 6 to 7:30 p.m. as an opportunity for Tufts students and alumni to reconnect. On Sunday morning, brunch is available at 10 a.m. or 12 p.m., followed by 3Ps' Umbrella Supershow, which will highlight many theater groups at Tufts. Tickets to the cocktail reception and brunch are $10 and $15, respectively and can be purchased at the Aidekman Box Office.

--