Trayless initiative makes its way to dining halls this fall

Dining Services is on track to "go trayless" in both dining halls this fall and while some students have complained about the resulting inconvenience, most have reacted positively or with indifference, according to the initiative's proponents.

Dining Services announced in May that it would remove the trays from both Carmichael and Dewick-MacPhie Dining Halls, following a 13-day trial of the idea in Carmichael. Organized by members of an Experimental College (ExCollege) class, the pilot program's results showed significant reductions in the amount of food wasted, energy consumed and water used over the 13 days in March.

Beyond the environmental effects, the test run also gave an indication of the student body's response to the initiative. Students who in the fall took "Environmental Action: Shifting from Saying to Doing" surveyed undergraduates at the end of the trial period and found that the majority of respondents were either in support of or neutral toward the initiative.

Fully half of the survey's respondents supported going trayless, according to junior Alex Freedman, a class member.

When asked if the inconvenience of not having trays was at an acceptable level, nearly 30 percent of respondents said "maybe," while 20 percent believed the level of inconvenience was unacceptable, Freedman said.

With 80 percent of the surveyed population either in support of or unconcerned by a move to trayless dining, the initiative's supporters are consequently optimistic that the Tufts community will receive the change favorably.

"I think the majority of students will adapt quite readily," Director of Dining and Business Services Patti Klos said.

Klos noted that the measure has thus far not proven problematic for students who arrived early on campus, notably the resident assistants and resident directors.

Still, students who were involved with last year's trayless efforts agree that the measure may take some getting used to.

"There will definitely be a period of time when people are upset," Callie Kolbe (LA '10), who took the ExCollege course, said. "Then it becomes part of the new culture and a habit for people."

Sophomore Ariana Riccio calls Dining Services' decision a positive development consistent with Tufts' history of promoting green initiatives. While Riccio acknowledged that going trayless might make carrying items out of the food area inconvenient, she believes the benefits outweigh the disincentives.

"The seating area and the area where the food is are [about] 50 feet from each other," she said. "It's not impacting your life in a huge way."

Junior Kyle Leggott disagreed. Leggott, who plays football for Tufts, is supposed to be gaining weight for the season. To him, having to make multiple trips from the table and back due to the lack of trays is not just inconvenient but also cuts down on the time he has available to eat.

"It's a huge inconvenience for people who get more than one plate at a time and more than a couple of drinks," Leggott said. "It takes three trips."

In response to such concerns, two students in the spring authored a Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senate resolution stressing the need to discuss alternatives to going trayless.

Junior Cory Faragon, a co-author of the resolution, agreed that going trayless can add significant time to the dining experience. What Faragon found most troubling, however, was the "coercive aspect" of trayless dining.

"Instead of simply informing students about the choice at hand and the environmental results of not using a tray, it coerces in effect and students are not permitted to make that choice," he said.

Kolbe said that while this point was valid, it deserved a more critical look.

"I have not heard one person delve into the issue more than ‘You're taking away my rights,'" she said. "The stipulations are there for the greater good."

Even Leggott conceded that the environmental benefits of trayless dining were significant, if intangible.

"Obviously my inconvenience is not as important as the energy savings, but in your day-to-day life, you don't really think about those savings," he said.

In response to students' concerns, Dining Services has relocated some of the silverware in Dewick to maximize convenience, Klos said. Dining Services has also ordered larger, 12-ounce glasses to replace the existing ones, which hold between seven and eight ounces. They are also considering larger bowls that may reduce spillage.

There are no current plans to order larger plates, in line with the trayless campaign's "mindful eating" goal, which is designed to reduce food waste.

"Often we find our eyes are bigger than our stomachs," Klos said. "We want students to be more thoughtful about how much food they take."

Trays have not been completely banished from the dining halls, however. Klos said that they will remain available for disabled students and others who specifically request one.

Klos added that if there is a backlash from students, administrators will reevaluate trayless dining at the semester's end. She observed that Dining Services is ultimately a "customer-driven organization."

Klos believes, however, that such a backlash is unlikely given that most of the students who frequent dining halls are freshmen, whose dining experiences have never included trays.

Incoming freshman Elizabeth McKay said that despite any resulting inconvenience, the energy and water savings make going trayless worth it.

"I don't feel like I'm going to be missing anything without a tray," she said.

CORRECTION: Due to an editing error, the Matriculation Issue article "Trayless initiative makes its way to dining halls this fall" misquoted junior Cory Faragon. The phrase in the middle of the quote, "Instead of simply informing students about the choice at hand and the environmental results of not using a tray, it coerces an effect and students are not permitted to make that choice," should have read "it coerces in effect."