Students, Occupy Boston protesters clash with Boston Police Department

Members of the Occupy Boston movement, including at least one Tufts student, were arrested early Tuesday morning during a nonviolent movement protest, according to Tufts student witnesses.

The incident, which marks the first mass arrest of the Occupy Boston movement, occurred after protesters refused to leave an adjoining encampment at the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy.

During Monday's afternoon march in Boston, a group of Occupy Boston protesters made an independent decision to set up camp in the Greenway, according to Tufts junior Anne Wolfe, a member of the movement.

The Greenway camp was an extension of Occupy Boston's original camp in Dewey Square, Wolfe said.

The Boston Police Department (BPD) at approximately 6 p.m. informed Occupy Boston members that police officers would forcibly remove any protesters who did not move from the Greenway by dark, according to an Occupy Boston press release.

BPD in a public statement cited safety concerns and risk of property damage to the newly renovated Greenway as reasons for banning protesters from occupying the second campsite.

Occupy Boston held a General Assembly meeting in Dewey Square at 7 p.m., where protesters discussed whether to remain in the second location, according to Wolfe.

Protesters decided to defend the second camp using a human perimeter in which protesters linked arms around the camp, Wolfe said.

Occupy Boston then issued a statement calling for as many protesters as possible to join them that night, and also noted the end of positive relations between protesters and the police.

"From the beginning, occupiers have worked tirelessly to maintain a positive working relationship with city officials," the statement read. "Today's threats by the Boston Police Department represent a sudden shift away from that dialogue."

At the time, protesters were confused about whether BPD planned to clear both camps, Wolfe noted.

"At first, the police told us that they were going to shut down both camps if we didn't evacuate … the first one," she said. "We weren't really sure what we needed to protect."

BPD began arresting protesters at the Greenway at 1:20 a.m., Wolfe said.

BPD arrested 141 total at that time, according to a statement on their website. Protesters that were arrested include students from Tufts, Boston University, Northeastern University and University of Massachusetts, according to Wolfe.

Junior Rachel Greenspan, a member of the protest, confirmed that at least one Tufts student was arrested.

Others arrested included legal observers and medics, who the police blocked from treating protesters, Wolfe said.

BPC also confiscated some of Occupy Boston's donated medical supplies, Greenspan said. The police confiscated eyewash solution for pepper−spray injuries and poured it on the ground, she noted.

Police refused to accept bail for protesters until Tuesday morning, according to Greenspan. Only some of the protesters were released by Tuesday night, she said.

Occupy Boston currently estimates that it will need $4,000 for protesters' bail, according to a statement on their website. Occupy Boston has been collecting money to use for bail, criminal defense lawyer Andy Cowan — a member of the movement — noted.

BPD said on Monday in a statement that it distributed to Occupy Boston protesters that it expects them to cooperate with officers, and that "BPD will arrest those knowingly in violation of the law if necessary."

The document stated that if a person who "unlawfully assembles and does not disperse after being ordered" may be imprisoned for up to one year or fined between $100 and $500.

The statement also defined trespassing as "Remaining upon land of another after having been forbidden to do so by a person who has lawful control over the premises."

Occupy Boston had planned for possible arrests in advance of Monday's march, according to Cowan. Both camps had legal observers, who volunteer to oversee police action and aid people who are arrested, he noted.

The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) has pledged support for the Occupy Boston movement, Cowan added. Before the Monday march, protesters handed out markers so people could write the NLG phone number on their arm in case of arrest.

"A big part of the guild's mission is to … defend people who are arrested in political protests," Cowan said.

Greenspan said she was upset by the police action on Tuesday.

"It was pretty upsetting feeling that you live in a country where you don't have the freedom to assemble peaceably," Greenspan said.

These police actions will most likely strengthen the movement, Greenspan and Wolfe said.

"People are here to support the movement and they're not going to let Occupy Boston be shut down," Wolfe said.

In response to BPD's arrests, senior Kate Perino wrote a private Facebook message — which she later published publicly on Facebook — to University President Anthony Monaco yesterday morning urging him to discuss Occupy Boston in a meeting she said he had with Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick later in that day.

Perino expressed displeasure that police arrested protesters for trespassing on public grounds. She cited Article XCVII of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, which states that the conservation of natural resources is a "public purpose."

Perino asked Monaco to bring up the topic with Patrick.

"In a perfect democracy my voice could be heard as loud as yours, but I have no doubt the governor will your words greater credence due to your status as President of an outstanding university," she said in the letter. "Please, please, help us make the City take this very seriously. Help us see some justice served."