Softball | Tufts heads to Bowdoin for three-game series

After an impressive 11-3 performance in its spring training trip to Florida, the softball team begins conference play this weekend with a three-game series against Bowdoin. The Polar Bears, who finished tied for second place in the NESCAC East Division last season, have found success so far this spring, boasting a 12-4 record.

Bowdoin took two of three from Tufts in their three-game series last April. In the series opener, Tufts put up two first-inning runs before allowing a three-run home run to then-sophomore Gen Barlow in the bottom of the inning. Polar Bears starting pitcher Melissa DellaTorre managed to find her groove after a rocky first frame and picked up the win, allowing just two runs in the final six innings. Sophomore Jo Clair, who was last season's NESCAC Freshman of the Year, went deep in the game, tying Tufts' single-season home run record.

The squads went on to split Saturday's doubleheader at Pickard Field, with DellaTorre picking up her second win of the series in game two. Then-junior Mira Lieman-Sifry paced the Jumbos to salvage a victory in the final game, picking up four hits, two runs and one RBI. Second baseman Emily Beinecke, a junior, also had six total hits and two RBIs in the two games.

This year, Barlow has put together a remarkable start to her junior season, leading the Polar Bears in nearly every offensive category, including home runs, RBIs, hits and slugging percentage. DellaTorre has also improved from her freshman campaign. She currently leads the NESCAC with 54.1 innings pitched and owns a 1.29 ERA to go along with seven complete games and 56 strikeouts.

Offensively, the Jumbos have been led by Clair and reigning NESCAC Player of the Year Lena Cantone, a senior, who are hitting .457 and .439, respectively. The duo has combined for 15 doubles and 23 RBIs so far.

Freshman pitcher Allyson Fournier has also dominated opponents, allowing just four runs in 38.1 innings of work while fanning 56 batters. Fournier and Clair have each earned a NESCAC Player of the Week honor in the first two weeks of the season.