Fan the Fire | Second Fan the Fire event benefits three charities as five teams set to play

After the first event drew droves of fans to football and volleyball games, the second Fan the Fire event will take place this Saturday, using its banner of "Spirit, Sports, Service," to benefit three charities: Soccer without Borders, Team Impact and Go 4 the Goal. Five Tufts sports teams will be in action, starting with men's tennis against the Coast Guard Academy at 11 a.m.

The charities benefiting from the event are all connected to individual teams. Soccer without Borders, supported by both the women's and men's soccer teams, is an organization working to use soccer as to promote positive change for under?served youth. Both squads will be raising money for the organization at their games against Hamilton College at 12 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., respectively.

Meanwhile, the association with Team Impact and Go 4 the Goal is deeply personal for the football team, which last spring, through Team Impact, adopted as part of the team Riley Roman, an eight?year?old battling a brain tumor. Sadly, Riley passed away this summer, but all the sports teams will be wearing yellow laces to honor him, and the laces will be sold at the events in order to raise money and awareness for pediatric cancer research. The teams are wearing the laces in conjunction with Go 4 the Goal, another pediatric cancer charity that has teamed up with Fan the Fire.

In addition to the soccer and tennis events, the football team will play Williams at 1:30 p.m., while the No. 8 field hockey team will take on Hamilton at noon.