What’s up this weekend

"From Orchids to Octopi: An Evolutionary Love Story" (2010): Tufts Drama and Dance department’s newest show explores human relationships, the legacy of Charles Darwin and evolution through a multimedia experience. The performance is filled with puppets reminiscent of Broadway's version of “The Lion King” (1997), a set that utilizes theater-in-the-round techniques and the talents of Tufts students as they tell this unique tale. ("Orchids to Octopi" opens tonight, Oct. 23 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 with a valid Tufts ID and are available for purchase in the Cohen Box Office and by phone at (617) 627-3493.)

Ghanaian Drumming Celebration: The Tufts music community celebrates the drumming of West Africa -- specifically Ghanaian drumming -- with a collaborative musical experience. Join three experts from Ghana: Dagomba drummers Mashud Neindow and Mohammed Alidu and Ashanti drummer Attah Poku. Also featured are Tufts professor David Locke and members of the Agbekor Society's Dagomba Section, Ben Paulding, graduate student of ethnomusicology and B.E.A.T.s. There will be a mixture of both traditional and contemporary music played. (Friday at 8 p.m. in Distler Performance Hall. Admission is free.)

The Jackson Jills present Acatoberfest!:  Join the Jackson Jills and the Bowdoin College Longfellows as they celebrate what they have called “Acatoberfest!" (a cappella + Oktoberfest). The Jills and the Longfellows will be singing and there will be free apple cider and donuts. (Friday at 8 p.m. in Barnum 104. Admission is free.)

Another Option at Tufts presents Arts and Crafts Night @ the Crafts Center:  Join “Another Option at Tufts”-- a group that focuses on having fun without partying or alcohol -- as they host an Arts and Crafts Night at the Crafts Center. A variety of art materials will be available so students can create art and make friends. Refreshments will be served. (Friday at 6 p.m. in the Crafts Center -- Lewis Hall basement. Admission is free.)