Top 10 female TV characters currently on air

Female leads on television are becoming increasingly prominent, but they're not always done right. It's easy to take a female character and make her one-dimensional or dependent on a man, so when a complex and strong female character comes onto the screen, she deserves recognition. This list of female TV characters is limited to shows that are currently airing or on hiatus because, otherwise, this list would have to be a top 50. This ranking is essentially based on how likely a viewer might say, "Wow, she is awesome!" and/or how hardcore they would consider the character.

1. Annalise Keating from "How to Get Away with Murder" (2014 - present) is a brilliant criminal defense attorney who knows what she wants and, most of the time, gets it. Prosecutors falter when they realize they're up against Keating, a powerhouse speaker. When she finds out her husband is cheating on her with one of his college students, she makes sure he pays for it.

2. Picking only one clone from "Orphan Black" (2013 - present) feels wrong, but out of the many that Tatiana Maslany plays, Sarah Manning stands out. She's had a rough life and dealt with substance abuse and crime, but has always put her family, especially her daughter Kira (Skyler Wexler) above all else. She will do anything to protect her daughter, and their relationship is one of the most compelling on the show. Manning doesn't let anyone push her around; in fact, she's usually the one doing the pushing.

3. The star of "Agent Carter" (2015), Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), landed her own show after her appearance in the Captain America franchise. Losing Steve Rogers -- Captain America's alter ego -- didn't break her down, but instead strengthened her. Carter is now helping to prove billionaire Howard Stark's (Dominic Cooper) innocence, beating up sexist men in the '40s and looking fabulous at the same time.

4. Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie) of "Game of Thrones" (2011 - present)  is incredibly loyal to the daughters of Catelyn Stark (Michelle Fairley) after their mother passes away. She briefly entertains romantic feelings for Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), but realizes her protective duties are more important. She can also school anyone, male or female, in combat and has the best swordswoman skills around. In a time in which women are encouraged to do literally nothing other than stay home and give birth to children, Brienne refuses to do either, and it's glorious.

5. Melinda May (Ming-Na Wen) is so stoic that viewers of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (2013 - present) may think she's heartless. She can be callous and cold at times, but she cares about her team and will do anything to save them. May is skilled in martial arts and could probably take down a dozen armed men with her bare hands. In addition, she's also a pilot. Her quick one-liners don't hurt her case either.

6. If you have a problem, you want to go to Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) from "Scandal" (2012 - present). She solves problems for a living, protecting people's reputations and cracking down on crimes. She is respected and looked up to by her co-workers, but is not afraid to lay down the law and call the shots. She is fierce, brave and admirable.

7. Claire Underwood (Robin Wright) is almost as ruthless as her husband, Frank (Kevin Spacey), in "House of Cards" (2013 - present). While Frank seems unaffected by morally questionable decisions, she displays some sense of guilt over their exploits. Don't be fooled, however, because getting on her bad side will result in some serious damage. She's sly, sharp and an overall intimidatingly strong woman.

8. Sun Bak (Doona Bae) from "Sense8" (2015) is similar to Melinda May in that she's grounded and skilled in martial arts. She uses martial arts as a way to center and calm herself and she's able to hold her own under attack. She also cares deeply about her family --  so much so that she confesses to a crime and goes to prison to save her brother. That's dedication.

9. Not even being sent back in time 200 years could stop Claire Fraser (Caitriona Balfe) from being her normal "crude" self among a gang of Scottish men, hellbent on proving that she's a spy. Fraser swears, drinks, yells and doesn't care what anyone thinks of her in "Outlander" (2014 - present). She may not always make the best decisions, but she stays true to herself.

10. Sophia Burset (Laverne Cox) on "Orange Is the New Black" (2013 - present) is an inspiration to all, despite her callous surroundings. As a transexual woman, Burset has to deal with harassment both in and out of prison, but puts on a brave face. She knows where she stands morally, and stands up for herself and what she believes in, even when nobody else will.