Rohrer wins at NCAA Regionals again, headed to NCAAs for third straight year

Junior diver Matt Rohrer is headed to the NCAA Championships for the third straight year after winning the NCAA Zone Regional three-meter competition and taking second in the one-meter last weekend. With his performance at the regionals at Wellesley College, Rohrer easily qualifies for the diving events at the Div. III Men's NCAA Championships in Greensboro, N.C. from March 16 to 19.

He will join three Jumbo swimming teammates — first-year Kingsley Bowen, senior Anthony DeBenedetto and senior tri-captain Michael Winget — as the four-man contingent looks to improve upon last year's 23rd-place finish, which seems plausible given the strength of the squad and the prior NCAA experience of Rohrer and Winget. Rohrer will compete in the three-meter event on March 16 and in the one-meter on March 18.

After being just barely edged out in the one-meter competition on Friday by the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy's William Porter — who put up a score of 482.65 to top Rohrer's 479.36 in the 11-dive program — Rohrer came back Saturday to handily beat Porter by a 499.00 to 477.15 margin in the three-meter.

The two-time All-American Rohrer has consistently improved each year at the Zone Regionals, finishing third in the three-meter and fifth in the one-meter his first-year season (2014), and first in the three-meter and third in the one-meter last season, before finishing first and second this year. The Jumbos have now won six of the eight Zone Regionals titles in the four years that the event has been going on, as Rohrer follows Jumbos legend Johann Schmidt's (LA '14) sweep of the four titles in 2013 and 2014.

Also competing at the Regionals last weekend were men's team sophomore diver Aaron Idelson and women's team junior diver Kylie Reiman. Both hoped to qualify for their first NCAA Championship meet, though they both came up short despite turning in personal best performances at Zone Regionals. Idelson finished eighth in the one-meter event and 10th in the three-meter while Reiman finished 20th in the three-meter and 19th in the one-meter in the women's bracket. Only the top six divers on each of the men's and women's sides will advance to the NCAA Championships.