Where you read it first | Friday, May 17, 2024

Several Jumbos set PRs in last regular-season meet

2017-04-17-womens_trackfield_meet
First-year Alina Strileckis throws a javelin at a women's track and field home meet on April 15.

Tufts competed this weekend at the Trinity College Invitational, the team’s last regular-season meet before the start of NESCACs. 

The team was smaller than usual last weekend because many of the players took time off to rest.

“The girls who did compete were able to hit some solid marks, and even got some [personal records]," junior Jennifer Sherwill said.

Although it was a non-scoring meet and several of Tufts' top runners sat out the competition, the Jumbos still stacked up well against opponents.  

“With a lot of our top performers resting up for our big meet next weekend, I'd say those that competed still gave their best effort,” sophomore Paige Fielding told the Daily in an email. “I think our team is well-rounded, which bodes well for us at NESCACs. Additionally, it was a few seniors' last races in a Tufts uniform.”

Sherwill had an impressive weekend in all of her events, even setting some personal record of her own. She won the discus throw with a throw of 133 feet 7 inches, out-throwing her closest competitor by more than seven feet.The throw ranks her in the top 40 in the country.

Sherwill also came in second place in the hammer throw with a career-best of 130 feet and finished third in the shot put with a throw of 37 feet 1.25 inches.

The triple-jump saw sophomore Trish Blumeris take second with a jump of 32 feet 7.75 inches.  Blumeris also tied for fourth in the long jump, recording 15 feet, 2.25 inches on her best jump.  

Senior Alice Wasserman posted a 4:54.17 in the 1,500-meter run, earning herself second place. The 5,000-meter run saw sophomore Caitlin Porrazzo finish fifth with a time of 18:54.33, and sophomore Kelsey Tierney came fifth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 12:08.36.  

The 100-meter relay was made up of first-year Franny Kiles, senior co-captain Rita Donohoe, first-year Raquel Whiting and first-year Alina Strileckis. The squad earned second place with a time of 50.56.

In what was an impressive weekend for Strilekis, the first-year also finished fourth with a time of 13.12 in the 100-meter dash and added a personal record in the 200-meters.

The 800-meter saw two Jumbos placing, with Sara Stokesbury coming in at 2:20.31 for third place, and first-year Lauren Diaz coming in right behind her at 2:23.51 for fourth place.  

First-year Nehalem Kunkle-Read finished second in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:08.21. Kunkle-Read also came in fifth in the 100-meter hurdles, posting a 16.40 split.  

The successful weekend for the Jumbos left them in a good place heading into the postseason, according to Sherwill.

“A lot of people competing were able to place high, which will certainly help our confidence moving into NESCACs next week," Sherwill said.

The NESCACs, the first postseason meet of the outdoor season, are the next step for the Jumbos and the most important team meet this season. Tufts will travel to Bowdoin on Saturday to begin a weekend of tough competition.

Despite entering such a crucial crunch time, spirits on the team are high.  

“We feel really excited to compete at NESCACs on Saturday,” Sherwill said. “It’s our biggest team meet of the season, and after graduating a few major contributors from last year’s team, we’re ready to prove that we can fill their shoes. This week, we’re going to focus on getting in some strong workouts as well as taking care of our bodies to prepare us.”

The upcoming week will be spent preparing for the last team competition. After NESCACs comes New England Championships, and only runners who qualify will compete there. Although the number of runners who are competing is dwindling, team chemistry is as strong as ever.  

“Track and field is a very individual sport, but this week, my teammates and I will be making an effort to check in with other event groups to see how they're doing,” Fielding wrote. “Even though the season is over for some athletes, they will still be fully present and driving to NESCACs to cheer on their team like they always do.”