Munching with Max: Menagerie of munching

column graphic for Max Druckman's "Munching with Max" column
Graphic by Rachel Wong

Typically, I structure my munching around a specific theme or location. However, for this edition, I’m relaying a valuable life lesson — your plan may not always pan out the way you expect, kids. In the iconic words of Forrest Gump, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get.” And so, due to my meal planning failures, I present a menagerie of munching.

First up, OGinger, a Japanese restaurant in Davis Square. Despite the modest setting, the menu was filled with intriguing maki options. I chose the Elyse Special. Featuring spicy cooked scallops and king crab meat topped with yellowtail and “special sauce,” the combo worked delightfully. The yellowtail was fresh and its smooth texture meshed well with the rice and sesame seeds that encircled the roll. The scallops and crab were fresh and flavorful. The real standout was the “special sauce.” Tangy, sweet and spicy, it wrapped the dish up neatly in a bow. Overall, an enjoyable roll and restaurant within walking distance of Tufts’ campus.

Next, Yankee Lobster Company in Boston’s Seaport District. Featured in the Food Network series “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, my expectations were sky high. It is a little (meaning a lot) out of the way and took well over an hour to get to via the MBTA. I chose the Skipper’s Platter, which was piled high with fried cod, shrimp and calamari. The plethora of grease necessitated more than the minuscule cup of tartar sauce provided. Still, the freshness managed to shine through the heavy breading. The cod was succulent but the shrimp and calamari were sometimes indistinguishable, making it difficult to savor unique flavors. The side of fries was crispy and perfectly cooked. For a fried fish platter, it was a solid rendition of a classic dish.

And finally, pizza. Following my club baseball game, the team reconvened to celebrate Saturday’s victory with a pizza party. Having played the full nine innings with no lunch break (hangry much?), the meal, from Angelina’s Pizza in Teele Square, was highly anticipated. However, after my first bite, I was extremely disappointed. The slice was hot, but the sauce was bland and the cheese was reminiscent of glue. There was a complete lack of flavor. The pizza — including the crust — was so soft that I began to doubt whether it had been cooked enough. Each bite felt laborious, instead of scrumptious. What seemed like a perfect match, baseball and pizza, was a strikeout.

As always, my gut reactions:

OGinger Elyse Special: Nice roll, nice restaurant. Check it out in Davis.

Yankee Lobster Skipper’s Platter: Its fresh, no-fuss fare makes it a must-visit for those seeking authentic New England seafood. But, maybe stick with the lobster roll.

Angelina’s Pizza: I prefer not to speak on this. If I tried, I’d be in big trouble.  

While some of us may have been bothered by the lack of culinary cohesion, variety should not be shied away from. It is, after all, the spice of life. So, if my column has left you with any takeaways, I hope it’s that variety is your friend (and that we need more good pizza places)!