Munching with Max: Pizza

column graphic for Max Druckman's "Munching with Max" column
Graphic by Rachel Wong

Over the last eight months, my taste buds have traveled far and wide, encompassing breakfast, lunch, dinner and all cuisine variations. But, for my final column of the year, I thought it would be fitting to finish with my initial munching inspiration, one of the tastiest creations of all time: pizza.

My first pizza stop was in response to an email from Mike, owner of Medford Square’s For Pizza. He offered to host me so the Daily could experience his restaurant. The VIP that I am, I accepted his invitation and was blown away by the staff’s hospitality. There were even tables reserved for the Daily! The brand of pizza was quite unique — the pies and slices were small, and, untraditionally, there was no thick outer crust, but slightly burnt ends deep-dish style. The under-crust was a tad undercooked compared to the end, but the sauce was delicious. Though slightly lacking in grease, air bubbles were abundant. The cheese was flavorful, and more was needed. The slice was simmering hot. While not my favorite pie, it was an out-of-the-box (pun intended) rendition well worth checking out. I also tried the pepperoni and house specialty Honey Roni pies. In both cases, the pepperoni offered a welcoming kick. The hot honey was fiery and downright delicious. To top things off, For Pizza offers Tufts students a 10% discount SundaysThursdays and has pledged to donate 10% of profits to local organizations. A welcoming, down-to-earth and generous joint that should be on your itinerary.

Next up, Mortadella Head in Davis Square. Having missed Dewick dining hours, I eagerly anticipated The Perfect Cheese red pie. While it wasn’t perfect, I wasn’t disappointed. The under-crust was smooth and mildly crispy, while the end crust was firm and crunchy. The flavor of each slice popped, as the cheese, tangy sauce and bountiful grease meshed beautifully. A sprinkling of parmesan cheese tied the bow, and the pie’s freshness was palpable. The only shortcoming was the crispiness, specifically on the bottom crust. Ultimately, it was my favorite slice I’ve had in Davis.

Lastly, a trip to Mike’s Food and Spirits in Davis on Marathon Monday. This pie was the closest to meh  something convenient you’d eat while watching football. There was extra cheese, a solid amount of grease, and it was piping hot. But, the crust was too soft and the sauce lacked tang. They do get points for generosity, as the slice was huge. Not the best, nor the worst, but a serviceable pie in Davis Square.

As always, my gut reactions:

For Pizza: Great business helping great causes. The pizza is intriguing and warrants a tasting. Try the hot honey.

Mortadella Head: My favorite Davis slice.

Mike’s Food and Spirits: One last time meh.

And with that, my first year of munching at Tufts comes to an end. Through the good and the bad, the meh and the eh, I’ve enjoyed my culinary crusade. The best part about nosh, though, is that it’s a year-round sport. So, may your summer be filled with scrumptious slices and delectable desserts. Don’t stop munching!