Where you read it first | Monday, May 13, 2024

The Bookmark: ‘Girl, Interrupted’ by Susanna Kaysen

Kaysen’s groundbreaking 1993 memoir sheds light on the truth of a psychiatric hospital stay, and it continues to be an impactful read to this day.

The Bookmark

Graphic by Carmen Smoak

Disclaimer: This article contains spoilers for “Girl, Interrupted” (1993) by Susanna Kaysen and the 1999 movie adaptation.

Content warning: This article contains mentions of suicide.

I’m not sure if I necessarily enjoyed reading this memoir, but it definitely sparked some contemplation and left me thinking about it days later, which is an indication of a good book. In “Girl, Interrupted,” Susanna Kaysen writes about her two year long experience in McLean Hospital’s psychiatric unit, and her story is nothing short of remarkable. It’s fascinating to read about the inner workings of an in-patient psych ward from the perspective of a patient, and with her witty — and at times sarcastic — tone, the storytelling was entertaining and interesting to read.

I had the chance to attend her 30-year anniversary book event at a local bookstore, Porter Square Books, at which Kaysen spoke about the book and read some excerpts. (My fellow arts writer Jennifer May wrote about this event in more detail in an article published earlier this week, which you can read here). Kaysen’s stoic presence and deadpan quips echoed her writing from the memoir and contributed to my appreciation of her unique voice. It was interesting to hear her speak about the book that established her fame and prestige as an author and to hear her reflections on the impact the book and fame have had on her life. She joked that she didn’t like the Academy Award-winning film adaptation of her book, but “liked the check.”

Several audience members shared their stories from McLean’s in-person unit, the same one which Kaysen had attended when she was 18 years old. There were echoes of sentiments which Kaysen wrote in her introduction to the book’s 30th anniversary edition: “It was surprising to me how many people had been in a mental hospital or had what used to be called a nervous breakdown.” She goes on to say, “When I gave readings at bookstores, people came up to me afterward to tell me I had written their story. Often, they thanked me for my courage.”

Courage is a word that comes to mind when reading about Kaysen’s time in the hospital, because it takes ample courage to publish such raw truths. In the memoir, she uses heartbreaking prose to describe everything from her suicide attempt — “I woke up one morning and I knew that today I had to swallow fifty aspirin” — to her views on other patients — “We might get out sometime, but she was locked up forever in that body.”

Kaysen also includes careful reflections on what it’s like to live in a hospital compared to the ‘real world’ — “For many of us, the hospital was as much a refuge as it was a prison. … In a strange way we were free. … We had nothing more to lose.” Kaysen’s ability to detail her simultaneous hatred and appreciation for her surroundings is remarkable and allows readers to better understand her time in the hospital.

As far as memoirs go, Kaysen wrote hers in a format that pushes against the ‘traditional’ memoir format readers are familiar with today. She’s rebellious in her writing style, using blunt language and dark humor at times, as well as including copies of the actual nurse reports and med charts from her hospitalization.

Overall, this was a very interesting read, and one that’s quite quick if you’re looking to break into the memoir genre but don’t know where to start. While I enjoyed other memoirs more — namely, “Wild” (2012) by Cheryl Strayed and “The Glass Castle” (2005) by Jeannette Walls — Kaysen’s memoir provided a unique interpretation of the genre that I hadn’t read before.

I’ll leave you with a quote to consider which touches on a more negative aspect of the environment of the hospital:

“[Lisa] had a therapist, but he used her hour to take a nap. … The only power [the therapists] had was the power to dope us up.” 

Summary In “Girl, Interrupted,” Kaysen shares the hard truths of life in a hospital psych unit, while expertly weaving in humor and lighter moments to create an overall incredible memoir.