Where you read it first | Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Tufts’ institutional approach to DEIJ on campus

On-campus offices and policies aim to implement Tufts’ institutional DEIJ strategy.

rab.jpeg

The FIRST Resource Center is pictured on February 1, 2023.

In the wake of recent Supreme Court rulings impacting affirmative action, Tufts University finds itself at a pivotal juncture. As legal constraints reshape admissions procedures, the necessity to foster diversity and inclusion on campus is incredibly pressing. A previous article covered the repercussions of these court rulings, spotlighting Tufts’ commitment to a holistic admissions approach. This article will discuss Tufts’ mission as an institution to foster diversity and inclusion across campus for matriculated students.

Recent admissions data for the Class of 2028 is a signal of the diversity of the university's student body, with representation from all 50 states and over 100 countries. Furthermore, 11% of accepted students are first-generation students.

As Tufts seeks to continue supporting a diverse student body, it’s paramount that students feel welcome and have adequate resources available to them on campus. Key resources at Tufts include the Student Accessibility and Academic Resources Center, the Office of Institutional Inclusive Excellence and pre-orientation programs.

Tufts University restructured its student-facing divisions within the Schools of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering in 2019, which included the formation of the Division of Student Diversity and Inclusion. Under the guidance of the associate dean of Student Diversity, Inclusion and Success, the DSDI staff works across the schools to foster diversity, equity, inclusion and justice. This division oversees various identity-based centers, including the Africana Center, Asian American Center, Center for STEM Diversity, FIRST Resource Center, Indigenous Center, Latinx Center, LGBT Center and Women’s Center.

These centers operate both collaboratively and autonomously, with the common goal of cultivating diversity at Tufts. They welcome all students and host numerous activities throughout the year such as field trips, lectures and social events.

Additionally, the StAAR Center serves as a central resource hub for students seeking additional support. The Office of Equal Opportunity also works with the StAAR Center on Title IX issues.

Jill Zellmer, the executive director and Title IX coordinator of the OEO, expanded on this collaboration.

“I can say the OEO collaborates closely with the StARR Center to be sure students with accommodation requests based on disability and religion are appropriately accommodated — we do this with all the other campuses at Tufts as well,” Zellmer wrote in an email to the Daily.

Recognizing that faculty success contributes to student success, this year Tufts has further intensified its efforts to foster a more inclusive environment through various initiatives. Monroe France, vice provost for IIE, highlighted these efforts.

“This year, we have also increased our faculty recruitment and retention efforts by launching a new cluster hiring initiative designed to attract faculty whose work centers on race and equity,” France wrote in an email to the Daily. “And to support our current faculty, we have been enhancing our mentoring programs; as faculty (especially junior faculty and faculty from underrepresented groups) grow and succeed at Tufts, so do our students.”

In addition to faculty-focused initiatives, the IIE is committed to increasing access and identifying areas for growth through data-driven assessments.

“The university is embarking on an accessibility study of our Medford/Somerville campus which includes participation of campus leaders from across the university, including my office,” France wrote. “Moreover, earlier this winter, after meeting with Tufts’ campus accessibility workgroup and incorporating feedback from the StAAR Center, [the IIE] administered an Accessibility Data Collection Form in the hopes of learning more about ongoing efforts and sharing them more widely with the entire Tufts community.”

As offices on campus conduct the accessibility study, the university concurrently emphasizes student-centered initiatives such as Bridge to Liberal Arts Success at Tufts and Voices, which play a crucial role in supporting underrepresented students before and during the application process. For accepted students, the BLAST program supports first-generation college students and those from under-resourced high schools. Taking place the summer prior to their first year at Tufts, this six-week residential program is managed by the FIRST Resource Center with a goal of fostering academic excellence and inclusivity.

Voices is another institutional pre-college program that provides high school seniors with insights into diversity and community at Tufts, even before they apply. Through panel discussions, interactions with current students and faculty, and engagement with resource centers, Voices aims to empower students and lay the groundwork for future mentorship. Christina Nguyen, a junior, participated in Voices when she was in high school.

Nguyen spoke about the importance of mentorship for first-generation students.

“I have a really good research mentor in the lab [I work in], but then it also transitions as a mentor outside of classes,” Nguyen said. “I think a lot of undergrad college students don't really fully understand what mentorship means and that sense of being able to know that you have someone to go ask [for] advice … and really putting a picture like who I can be in the future. I think that's so valuable.”

Once on campus, the four-day Building Engagement and Access for Students at Tufts pre-orientation program stands as another resource for admitted students stepping onto campus. The program focuses on addressing the unique experiences of first-generation and low-income students. BEAST provides participants with essential support in acclimating to college life. Together, Voices, BLAST and BEAST represent Tufts’ commitment to inclusivity and provide support to underrepresented students in their transition to college life.

There are also many student-led initiatives designed to cultivate diversity on campus. The STEM Ambassadors program is one example. Stemming from the DSDI, STEM Ambassadors are student representatives from the School of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering. These ambassadors engage in outreach missions, visiting local schools to deliver presentations and conduct hands-on activities aimed at making STEM fields more accessible and inclusive, thereby encouraging students from underrepresented backgrounds to pursue careers in these areas.

In the STEM departments at Tufts, Nguyen also identifies accommodation for diverse learning styles and backgrounds as a significant barrier.

“Sometimes, you start off with a different playing field, and that’s sometimes not acknowledged by teachers,” Nguyen said. “They tend to just jump right in and assume that everyone can just best learn … the way that they teach.”

Despite these challenges, Nguyen perceives the cultural climate within STEM departments at Tufts as generally positive, as faculty and advisors in the biology department have been welcoming and often try to do their best to be supportive. She particularly appreciates when professors take the time to acknowledge the contributions of scientists from underrepresented backgrounds.

“[It] really is meaningful for students, and especially as a woman and someone interested in science,” Ngyuen said.

Within the sciences, Nguyen also appreciates the emphasis on hands-on research opportunities, which contribute to an enriching academic experience.

“Staff and advisers have [all] been welcoming and amazing, and they do their best to make sure whatever questions or concerns students have are addressed,” Nguyen said. “Being an undergrad research institution, a lot of the labs on campus are geared towards training undergrads by giving them the opportunity to do research, so I like the hands-on aspect of things.”

However, she acknowledges that some underrepresented students may still feel marginalized or isolated within the classroom, particularly if they are the only person of color or minority present.

As for suggestions for improvement, as an upperclassman, Nguyen felt that the resources allocated to helping students in life after Tufts were lacking. She described a feeling of bouncing back and forth between the Career Center and the FIRST Resource Center, also noting the disconnect between the faculty in the centers and the lived college experience. As such, she struggled to find career professionals who she could relate to. Nguyen suggested a few areas for improvement.

“One aspect is maybe hiring more diverse people that have experience in different fields, so they have their own personal experience that they can speak about,” Nguyen said. “Or maybe there could be a system where an upperclassman, like a senior, can be able to talk to a [first-year] or sophomore about their internship programs.

As of late, there has been no shortage of debate in the broader public sphere about the increasingly large role that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice programs play in our educational institutions. Critics lambast such policies as divisive and unnecessary, whilst proponents cite demonstrably proven benefits. Tufts University is no stranger to these discussions.

However, as far as Tufts is concerned, DEIJ is clearly here to stay.

“From the classroom to the library to the places that our staff, students, faculty, and administrators work in, it is important to promote a culture of inclusion, equitable opportunities, accountability, and a diversity of people and perspectives,” France wrote.