WEEKENDER: Newport Jazz Festival celebrates its 70th anniversary this August

The festival’s eclectic 2024 lineup provides a glimpse into the genre’s past — and its future.

48565790462_b15d440ec1_k.jpg

Herbie Hancock performs at the Newport Jazz Festival in 2019.

This year marks a monumental milestone for the Newport Jazz Festival: its 70th anniversary. Since its inception in 1954, the festival has showcased jazz giants like Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis, whose legendary performances have become a part of its rich history. As this summer’s gathering approaches from Aug. 2–4 at Fort Adams State Park, the festival not only celebrates its storied past but also its continuous pulse on the future of jazz.

Newport Jazz Festival is not just an event; it’s an institution that echoes the evolutionary journey of jazz itself. From the revolutionary sounds of the Sun Ra Arkestra to the soulful depths of Brittany Howard’s vocals, the festival promises a weekend of extraordinary musical breadth. The historical significance of Newport as a backdrop adds a profound sense of continuity and place to the performances, weaving together the old with the new in a setting steeped in musical heritage.

This year’s lineup is a vibrant tableau of jazz’s dynamic evolution. It features pioneering artists such as Kamasi Washington and Robert Glasper alongside icons like Elvis Costello and André 3000, whose performances are highly anticipated by the festival’s diverse audience. The eclectic mix not only honors jazz legends of yore but also spotlights the innovators shaping its future.

A special tribute to Wayne Shorter, recently deceased jazz saxophonist, will feature Danilo Pérez, John Patitucci, Terri Lyne Carrington and Ravi Coltrane in a poignant remembrance of Shorter’s enduring influence. Meanwhile, Newport’s Artistic Director Christian McBride is set to curate an ensemble that exemplifies the festival's spirit of collaboration and innovation.

The lineup of musicians reflects the continually changing identities of jazz festivals worldwide. Rather than only highlighting traditional jazz music, which has long been difficult to define, Newport Jazz has more mainstream artists like André 3000 and Elvis Costello headline lineups. Even Laufey, another headliner of the festival who tops jazz charts, arguably represents a more pop and classical-inflected form of the music. Consider the 2023 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival where the headliners were Ed Sheeran and Lizzo, artists with mainstream recognition but little connection to jazz.

That is not to criticize Newport’s lineup — after all, Christian McBride, one of the most respected jazz musicians today, is the festival’s artistic director. Jazz has always been a genre of progress and evolution. Jazz greats like Charlie Parker and Miles Davis always tried to create something new. Perhaps this change in the lineups of jazz festivals to incorporate larger genres of music reflects the position and evolution of jazz today. Smooth jazz does not sell anymore and the stereotypical idea of jazz has now become canonized. But the road forward might not be to keep gatekeeping traditional jazz music but to search for a new frontier and encourage cross-genre collaborations that festivals like Newport Jazz are promoting.

Beyond the music, the festival’s impact stretches into education and community engagement. The Newport Festivals Foundation actively supports music education programs, ensuring the legacy of jazz continues through new generations of musicians. This commitment to both preservation and progress is a testament to the festival’s foundational role in the jazz community.

As attendees from around the globe converge on Newport, they will find themselves part of a living history, participating in a festival that not only showcases jazz but fosters a deeper understanding and appreciation of its enduring influence. This anniversary is not just a celebration of Newport’s past achievements but also a hopeful beacon for jazz’s future.

Prepare to immerse yourself in the legacy and future of jazz at the 2024 Newport Jazz Festival, an event that honors history while also exploring new horizons.