Inside NCAA Basketball | Atlantic 10 looks to be Cinderella story

The Atlantic 10 is a typical mid−major conference. While it occasionally produces a shining moment, it is annually overshadowed by the power conferences. Xavier has been the only Atlantic 10 team making headlines in recent years, and even the Musketeers have struggled to make it deep into March.

But the stars seem to have aligned for the A−10 this season. With the Pacific 10 faltering and other prominent conferences weaker than ever, the door has been opened for mid−major conference teams who are seeking at−large bids.

Having a trio of teams rated in the top 25 of the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) means that A−10 games carry more significance than ever. In past years, Xavier was the only quality opponent for most teams on the conference schedule, but this year almost half of the conference holds clout in the eyes of the tournament committee.

The Atlantic 10 has developed a hard−nosed style of play similar to that of its regional big brother, the Big East. A−10 squads all look for high−percentage shots on offense and rely on their defense to win games, allowing them to contend with some of the country's best teams. Here are the ones to watch for come tournament time.

Less than four years after the retirement of Hall−of−Fame coach John Chaney, Temple (20−5, RPI 12) is once again the cream of the crop in the Atlantic 10. Led by senior guard Ryan Brooks (15.1 points−per−game) and junior forward Lavoy Allen (11.4 points−per−game and 10.4 rebounds−per−game) the Owls mix a very clean offensive side with a stifling defense.

Temple, currently ranked No. 21 in the latest AP Top 25 Poll, has the sixth−ranked scoring defense in the country and, over the course of the season, has held No. 10 Georgetown to 46 points and No. 3 Villanova to 65 points. The Owls' opponents have only surpassed 65 points six times this season. Temple does not give its opponents free points, as evidenced by its high assists−to−turnover ratio, which, at 1.36, is good for 17th in the country.

The Owls are 4−2 against the RPI top 25, including a definitive 10−point win over Villanova, one of only three the Wildcats have suffered all year. Temple is currently predicted to be a No. 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament by ESPN.com, and the Owls certainly have the tools to go deep in the tourney.

After two straight Sweet 16 finishes, it should surprise no one to hear that Xavier (17−7, RPI 19) is once again in contention. With two returning starters and sophomore guard Jordan Crawford's evolution into arguably the best scorer in the A−10, Xavier will have little to worry about come Selection Sunday. Crawford, a transfer from Indiana, is averaging 19.6 points per game, the best mark in the conference, and is the catalyst for a prolific offense.

But Xavier is not built in the same mold as many of the A−10 teams. The Musketeers are a high−scoring team, ranked 19th in the country, and they are not afraid to get into a shootout. They also have a deep bench, with eight players averaging at least 6 points per game.

However, the Musketeers have struggled against the top teams in the country and are 0−5 against the RPI top 20. Even though they have been competitive in every game, they are going to need to step up to the level of competition in March.

As the hottest team in the A−10, Richmond (20−6, RPI 27) has won eight of its last nine games, including wins over Temple and Rhode Island. The Spiders have the 11th−best scoring defense in the league, and they do it largely by contesting every shot. Teams are only shooting 38.3 percent against them, the 14th−lowest percentage in the country.

The Spiders have been battle−tested, and have proved that they deserve their shot time and time again. Outside of their big conference wins, they have also beaten fellow bubble contenders Mississippi State, Missouri and Old Dominion, and only fell to No. 23 Wake Forest by six points.

Dayton (17−7, RPI 32) has made the least noise of the A−10 contenders, but may actually have the best chance at playing Cinderella come March. Dayton has rebounded extremely well all year, and has a rebounding margin of 6.8 — the 17th−best in the nation. As players start to miss shots in the pressure−filled climate of the tournament, the Flyers' ability to prevent second−chance points could be the difference between an upset win and a ticket back to Ohio.

Though it is sputtering out down the stretch, it appears as though Rhode Island (19−5, RPI 22) will still be headed to the tournament for the first time since 1999, when it fell in the first round in overtime. Senior guard Keith Cothran and classmate forwards Delroy James, and Lamonte Ulmer all average over 10 points a game to lead the team, while freshman guard Akeem Richmond provides 8.4 points−per−game off the bench.

The selection committee will have its work cut out for it come Selection Sunday, as several teams vying for mid−major Atlantic 10 have built legitimate cases, but only a few will be granted the chance to dance in March.