Die Antwoord debuts with bizarre, refreshing style

Whoever said that South African-horrorcore-ninja-zef rap is dead has clearly never heard of Die Antwoord. Stuck somewhere between Internet meme and pure genius, Die Antwoord — Afrikaans for "The Answer" — has exploded from being a relatively unknown South African hip-hop group to signing a major label record deal and touring the world.

It all started with the video for their song "Enter The Ninja" (2008). Filled with violently playful lyrics, a set that would make Eli Roth proud, and enough phallic images to last a normal person a whole year, Die Antwoord's video took the Internet by storm.

Nine months later, Die Antwoord has put out two more incredibly absurd videos, collaborated with producer extraordinaire Diplo and finally released a major-label debut, "$O$," which does not disappoint.

Die Antwoord is not trying to impress anyone. They practice a style of South African rap called zef, which has been described by South African rapper Jack Parow as "kinda like posh, but the opposite of posh." Basically, Zef means that Die Antwoord is going to do whatever they want, whether or not anyone cares or approves.

This attitude is not only what makes "$O$" so weird, but it's what makes it so interesting. They're goofy, they're violent, they're strange, and most importantly, they're entertaining. Plus, they actually make some pretty good music.

If you get past how weird Die Antwoord is, it becomes clear that they're pretty talented. Ninja (Watkin Tudor Jones), the main rapper, has a flow that jumps around, skipping, stuttering and slurring words like a South African Yelawolf.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if he's speaking in Afrikaans slang or English, but, more often than not, it doesn't really matter. His lyrics are all over the place, making the songs unpredictable and fun; whether he's talking about being in the club in his underpants, being a ninja or making obscure references to Zulu mythology, he never misses a beat. When you listen to what he's saying, you start to realize that Ninja is cleverer with his rhymes than most American rappers.

Yo-Landi Vi$$ar provides hooks that sound like they came straight out of a horror movie. As scary as they are, they're strangely enticing at the same time. Her hook on "Enter the Ninja" is a prime example of how Die Antwoord can scare you, confuse you and have you singing along to their songs at the same time. Plus, when she has to, the woman can rap. Check out her verse on "Evil Boy" if you don't believe me.

DJ Hi-Tek (not the one from Black Star) provided the beats for most of the album, and he does a great job of providing platforms for Ninja and Yo-Landi to shine. He brings a combination of British techno-rap and drum that just go nuts on almost every track. The beats are never too musically complex, but the techno-grime sound meshes perfectly with the whole Die Antwoord experience.

Though a few of the songs on the album are virtually un-listenable — such as "Doos Dronk" — most of the album is pretty tightly put together. Highlights include their first single, "Enter The Ninja," "Evil Boy" — a Diplo-produced track that would have huge potential in the United States if it weren't for half of it being in Afrikaans — and, like any good rap album, a song dedicated to all the haters, "Fish Paste." Though they may have started off as an Internet meme, with "$O$" Die Antwoord has proven that they actually can put out a solid piece of music.

But is the music the only thing that matters? Die Antwoord is more than just an album you listen to in the car. Die Antwoord is an experience. Though it is not the best album to come out this year, it very well may be the most fun.

In a recent interview, Ninja said that this was the first of a five-album plan of Die Antwoord's, so don't expect that this is the last we hear of them. Even after "$O$," no one really knows what Die Antwoord really is. Are they kidding? Are they serious? Who are they anyway? We may never truly find out, but as Ninja said in the first verse of the band's first single, "I'm a Ninja, yo."