Workaholics' has some work to do

Movie and TV comedies seem to be moving away from slapstick humor and more toward the offensive and crude. Some newer comedies have been able to pull it off. "Get Him to the Greek" (2010) and "The Hangover" (2009) are two of the best examples of comedies that truly have no borders, but have their audiences laughing uproariously throughout the entire movie.

Unfortunately, this type of humor is hard to execute successfully, especially on television. It requires the acting, direction and writing all to be on the same page, which is easier said than done.

"Workaholics," a television series directed by Kyle Newacheck and executive produced by Kevin Etten, proves that vulgar, pointless humor that crosses the line between what's safe and what's risky does not alone make for good entertainment. Simply put, the series misses its mark on all fronts.

This show enlists three unheard−of actors to portray not−quite−grown−up adults, working in an ordinary office space with some insignificant, middling conflicts. Blake Anderson, Adam DeVine and Anders Holm bring nothing creative to their less−than−mediocre roles as the everyday group of guys. There isn't even an illusion of characterization in the show, seeing as these actors essentially play themselves — the characters even share the names of the actors who play them.

The "Workaholics" pilot centers on the guys' desperate pursuit to avoid taking a scheduled drug test in their office. Having smoked pot the day before at a party, the three realize they won't pass the test as is. They come up with a series of schemes to retrieve drug−free urine, and in their attempts we are supposed to find comedy (cue uncomfortable laughter here).

In the end, the drug test is found to be inconclusive, as it was given by a sketchy character anyway. None of our favorite guys is found to have taken any drugs. But, of course, when one challenge ends, a new one begins. A new drug test is scheduled — this time, one that involves hair — and the guys come prepared.

Parallels can certainly be drawn between this exhausted situational comedy and other more successful ones. It seems as though the writers took what functioned in shows like "The Office" and movies like the "The Hangover," and carelessly combined them in hopes of creating a perfect comedic product. But "Workaholics" is disconnected and banal.

Aside from lacking a purpose, this show could seriously benefit from stronger writers. This type of comedy needs to have some originality or it will certainly fail.

The first problem that needs to be addressed is the lack of differentiation between the three main characters. Adam and Anders fill the same niche. They both dress like college students, though they're probably nearing 30. Blake may look drastically different, but the truth is that his personality is a weak step away from the others. Viewers need to care about each character as an individual. Without differentiated characters, the show quickly descends into redundant dialogue and situations.

The second problem is the lack of seriousness in the comedy. Within each drama there is a bit of comedy, and within each comedy there is a bit of seriousness — otherwise, there is no realism. This show lacks a sense of urgency that makes comedy funny, and lacks a realistic setting that could make the whole show plausible. Viewers need to at least believe in the premise of the show or they will just look at it as another piece of TV garbage to skim over while they're flipping through channels.

If the actors actually acted semi−afraid of being fired for drug use, we might believe that they really need to get the drug−free pee. If the writing were more sophisticated in its comedic stylings, we might actually laugh throughout the show. Instead, we're left with a show that will surely flop.

To quote Adam after he played a prank on a neighbor skating by, "It's weird how unembarrassed I am," which matches this show's shameless attempt at comedy to a tee.