Tufts Greeks to hold community block party today

Tufts' sororities and fraternities will today host the annual Greek Block Party, open to the entire Tufts community, at 1 p.m. on Professors Row between Curtis Street and Packard Avenue.

All of the Greek houses will be holding events during the block party, according to sophomore Sarah Gottlieb, the Inter−Greek Council (IGC) vice president programming co−chair.

Gottlieb, a member of Alpha Omicron Pi (AOII), said that the block party activities change each year based on recommendations made by representatives from each chapter during IGC meetings.

"The block party is my favorite project this year," she said.

The tradition, which began in 2007, is an opportunity for members of Greek houses to reach out to the greater Tufts community, according to Gottlieb.

The IGF is responsible for reserving and assigning block space to each of the chapters, according to IGC President Eric Swanson, a senior. Each house chooses an activity and then the IGC provides them with a booth or table, he said.

This year's block party will feature, among other activities, a barbecue by Alpha Tau Omega (ATO) and Zeta Psi that will take place outside of ATO at 134 Professors Row.

Alpha Phi will host cupcake decorating, and Sigma Phi Epsilon (SigEp) will organize a foursquare game.

During the block party, the sorority powderpuff football game, which was originally scheduled to take place during Homecoming, will take place on Fletcher Field, Gottlieb said.

Delta Upsilon (DU) will be holding a dunk booth across the street from their house at 114 Professors Row, according to DU President Anthony Ferlan.

Participants can pay one dollar to get three throws at a target that will then dunk a brother into the water, Ferlan, a junior, said.

The Greek community is excited to add the dunk booth, Swanson said.

DU will donate all proceeds from the dunk booth to the Delta Upsilon Global Service Initiative, a program that sends brothers from chapters across the nation on service trips to different locations around the world.

Each chapter is required to raise $1,000 over the course of the year to participate in this program, Ferlan noted.

"This event will help us reach that goal," he said.

Swanson added that this is the first time the block party has been held on Parents' Weekend.

"We're hoping some parents will stop by and see what the Greek community is all about," Swanson said.

--

The original version of this article incorrectly stated that Anthony Ferlan said that this year was the first time that the Greek Block Party had been held on Parents' weekend. In fact, Eric Swanson said this.