Visiting the Hill this week

MONDAY

"Revelation or preparation: multiple readings of musical information"

Details: Professor of Music at Mount Holyoke College David Sanford will present this semester's final installation of the Granoff Music Center Colloquium Series. Lunch will be served after Sanford's lecture.

When and Where: 12:00 p.m., Granoff Music Center Varis Lecture Hall

Sponsor: Department of Music

"The World Refracted and Recomposed: Creolization from Department to Metropole"

Details: H. Adlai Murdoch, an author and professor of Francophone studies at Tufts who often explores the formation and expression of Creole identity in his works, will deliver the 2015 Langsam Barsam Simches Lecture.

When and Where: 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m., Olin Center Room 012

Sponsor: Department of Romance Languages

"Transforming 'Ferguson' into Human Rights for All"

Details:  Meena Jagannath, a Tufts alumna and co-founder of the Community Justice Project; Justin Hansford, a professor at the St. Louis University School of Law; Professor of History and Center for the Study of Race and Democracy Director Peniel Joseph and Professor of Peace and Justice Studies Laura Graham will host a panel discussion.

When and Where: 7:30 p.m., Barnum Hall room 104

Sponsors: Peace and Justice Studies Program, Center for the Study of Race and Democracy

TUESDAY

"This Ends Badly: Race and Capitalism"

Details: Dr. Vijay Prashad, author and professor of South Asian history and international studies at Trinity College, will discuss the relationships between racism and capitalism.

When and Where: 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m., Alumnae Lounge

Sponsors: Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora; Department of History

"American Glamour: Architecture and Design in the 1950s"

Details: Alice Friedman, professor of the history of American art and architecture at Wellesley College, will deliver the 11th Margaret Henderson Floyd Memorial Lecture, which commemorates former professor Floyd's scholarship and commitment to Tufts.

When and Where: 6:00 p.m., Tisch Library room 304

Sponsors: Department of Art and Art History, Civil and Environmental Engineering

WEDNESDAY

"Murrow Forum: Who Can You Trust in the 24/7 Multimedia News Cycle?"

Details: ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos will deliver the 10th annual Edward R. Murrow Forum on Issues in Journalism, in discussion with Jonathan Tisch (LA '76), co-CEO of Loews Corporation. 

When and Where: 3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Cabot ASEAN Auditorium

Sponsor: Communications and Media Studies

"Towards Racial Equality and Social Justice: Sharing the Work and Research of James Jennings"

Details: James Jennings, author, scholar and professor in the Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning, will discuss his scholarly work and activism on race and social justice in a symposium featuring current and former colleagues and a panel discussion. Registration is required to attend.

When and Where: 4:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m., Barnum Hall room 008

Sponsors: Department of Urban and Environmental Policy and Planning, Consortium of Studies in Race, Colonialism and Diaspora

THURSDAY

"Sustainability of small land-hold farmers in Africa: Real challenges and potential solutions"

Details: John Pickett, a scientific leader of chemical ecology at Rothamsted Research, will discuss his research on small-scale farming and pest management systems in sub-Saharan Africa as part of the Environmental Studies Lunch and Learn series. 

When and Where: 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., Lincoln Filene Center Rabb Room

Sponsor: Environmental Studies Program

"Eleventh John Holmes Memorial Poetry Reading Featuring Joan Houlihan"

Details: Poet Joan Houlihan, author of four collections of poetry and founder of the Concord Poetry Center, will read from her works as part of the 11th John Holmes Memorial Poetry Reading. A book signing and reception will follow Houlihan's talk. 

When and Where: 3:30 p.m., Tisch Library Hirsh Reading Room

Sponsor: Friends of Tufts Libraries