Walt Laws-MacDonald

The Setonian
Columns

Franchise and fandom

Three and a half seconds. Knicks ball.My brother -- aka Mookie aka Mini Walt aka The Small Mailman aka “he’s way cooler than you” (I know!) -- and I stood in nervous excitement, along with the other 19,800 fans at the Garden that night. As a native New Yorker, I have suffered through years of ...

The Setonian
Columns

Inflation in the nation

Inflation is the economic concern that a dollar today will be worth less than a dollar tomorrow. As time goes on, the value of money tends to inflate. Remember when Snapple cost $1.25 and you could get a Snickers for 50 cents? Those were the good days. Now I’m dropping $3.00 on candy every week.Thanks ...

The Setonian
Columns

Net neutrality and Netflix

Network neutrality is the idea that all data should be treated the same. The phrase, which was coined in a 2003 paper by Columbia professor Tim Wu, focused on “broadband discrimination” -- internet providers discriminating against certain consumers or content providers by slowing down their broadband ...

The Setonian
Columns

Philosopheconomics

“I am a philosophical nomad disguised in Western clothing, a wondering drifter, masquerading in a suit near a California beach. Sand forms the foundation of my being, and its porosity is at once my greatest strength and deepest wound.”Who said it? I’ll give you three guesses, and we’ll do it ...

The Setonian
Columns

Apple Pay me my money

My first experience with the Davis Square CVS Pharmacy was in April of my sophomore year. The first of several bouts of tonsillitis had kept me in bed for a few days before I eventually managed to drag myself to Health Services. After the usual “Why didn’t you come in sooner?” conversation -- ...

Feature-Image_Place-HolderWINTER31
Columns

Fed, fun, rates

When dealing with economic issues, countries have two approaches at their disposal: fiscal policy and monetary policy.Fiscal policy is usually what comes to mind when people think of economic policy as a whole. Balancing the budget, adjusting tax rates and income brackets and government spending -- ...

The Setonian
Columns

Risky business

“What’s wrong with the world, mama / People livin’ like they ain’t got no mamas / I think the whole world addicted to the drama / Only attracted to things that'll bring you trauma.” So sang the great will.i.am in the equally great Black Eyed Pea’s hit single “Where Is the Love?” ...

The Setonian
Columns

Spinoff mania

Last week, two household names announced that they would be spinning off major sectors of their companies into separate entities. First, eBay, the giant consumer-to-consumer e-retailer, voted to spin off PayPal, its online payment service. Then, Hewlett-Packard (HP) announced that it would be spinning ...

The Setonian
Columns

Alibaba and the IPO

Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba went public earlier this month, raising nearly $22 billion in the largest initial public offering (IPO) ever. Founded by Chinese national Jack Ma in 1999, the company takes its name from the classic tale of “Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves,” which tells of a poor ...

The Setonian
Columns

Bigger but better?

I wrote a column about the cult of Apple nearly three years ago. It was a simpler time then. A time when my tremendous playlist making skills were heralded throughout the halls of the Dirty Lew (there was a joke about the football team here, but OH MY GOD WE WON), a time when NQR was more than just ...

More articles »