Yiyun Tom Guan

News

Dining workers react to Tufts Distinction Awards, stress unfairness

Tufts University President Anthony Monaco and Vice President for Human Resources Kim Ryanannounced the winners of the Tufts Distinction Awards and the David J. Kahle Leadership Award in an email to Tufts faculty and staff on Oct. 20. Dewick-MacPhie Dining Center is one of the teams that won the award, and its current staff members arelisted on the webpage as recipients and received letters of recognition. However, several workers who worked at Dewick — the only dining location operational after Tufts evacuated its campus in late March 2020 — last spring and summer, have expressed discontent with how the recipients were selected since moving to other locations.

thumbnail_EA7BE06F-27F1-48FC-8071-8D6D6FD73700
News

Union holds janitors' protest minutes after winning short-term extension

32BJ Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the union that represents custodians at Tufts University, held a rally on Friday afternoon in front of West Hall in protest of C&W Services’ failure to extend its contract and meet its demands. C&W Services is the facilities contractor hired by Tufts. The protest was held in collaboration with the Tufts Labor Coalition and was attended by workers, union representatives, students and community members.

News

Tufts Labor Coalition holds summer rally, demands pay for dining workers

Tufts Labor Coalition held a rally in front of Dewick-MacPhie Dining Center in support of Tufts Dining workers ineligible for both summer work at Tufts and unemployment benefits from the state of Massachusetts on Friday, July 30. The rally was attended by workers, students, faculty, elected officials, political candidates and community members.

brian_schaffner_profile_500x625
News

Tufts professor Brian Schaffner conducts policing surveys in Medford, Somerville

Brian Schaffner, Newhouse professor of civic studies, conducted surveys last October and November of Medford and Somerville residents on their experience and perception of policing in their respective communities, as well as their opinions on future reforms. The survey reports, released on March 15, state that while residents of both cities are “somewhat satisfied with policing,” they see inequalities in how different populations are treated by the police, and they overwhelmingly support the creation of a civilian review board.

More articles »