Respect those who disagree with you in debate

It is a natural phenomenon that debate strengthens discourse. Imagine how dull conversation would be were it not spiked with a variety of opinions and plenty of arguing. The limits of free speech, however, have reached the forefront of social issues being discussed today. Much of this began with the #JeSuisCharlie movement that led the public to examine the relationship between free speech and perpetuating hate or being insulting. 

This topic has also hit close to home on the Tufts campus as the Daily and other publications have published numerous op-eds regarding free speech and its limits, many of which sprung from the protest of an Israeli Army officer speaking at Fletcher last fall. In fact, the debate around free speech became so lively that even President Monaco felt compelled to speak up, publishing an op-ed in the Daily.

There’s no denying that op-eds can be a powerful tool to get one's voice heard. Here at the Daily, we encourage submissions of a wide array of opinions pieces to accurately reflect the perspectives of the student body and provide them each with an accessible platform to speak out and influence campus discourse.

Recently, however, the online comments responding to Daily op-eds have become increasingly spiteful and inflammatory. While argument and disagreement is healthy, stifling debate is not. When commenters who insult writers or put them down in order to reveal the superiority of their own opinions does little more than create a toxic environment, preventing other community members from feeling comfortable submitting op-eds.

A letter from the opinion and online editors also discussed these concerns, but a lack of respect between debaters is an issue extending far beyond internet comments or culture. It is of course easy to invoke extremes in a debate; it is only human to do so. Actually listening to an opponent's argument, however, is critical. Remember when you engage in debate over these next weeks that the people you are debating are not monsters, they are people who are just as passionate as you are. Remember that apathy is not a reason to become enraged at someone, but rather a chance to teach one about your viewpoint. Remember that you are free to believe what you want and try to convince others, but so too are your opponents.

When Justice Antonin Scalia visited Tufts last year, many students found their views on government and law fundamentally challenged, as they realized that there are indeed intelligent people on the other side of the debate. No one can deny that, compared to most other places in this country, the college campus is one of the most liberal places there is. We must not abuse this forum for open discussion for which many have fought. Many of us only will be here for four years. If those four years are spent with a hatred of opinions contrary to our own and a lack of understanding that debates are multi-sided, we squander this special opportunity for discourse. Disagree, but respect your opponents and listen to their side. It may make your points even stronger.