Why everyone secretly wants Leicester to win

At this stage I probably have to eat humble pie.

Because all our predictions about Claudio Ranieri and Leicester City when the season first started in August should, quite rightly, be thrown out of the window.

What a turnaround it has been. About one year ago, Leicester sat at the bottom of the Premier League table on 17 points.That was one point better off than current bottom team Aston Villa. Everyone wrote them off. Relegated for sure, they said. We couldn’t have been further from the truth. That bubble would burst soon, we all thought. Yet two-thirds of the way into the season, they’re still sitting pretty at the top. At this stage, we really do have to ask, “Can they do it?”

Admit it, there’s a part in every soccer fan that wants Leicester City to win the title. Not (just) because it means our rival teams will fail too, but because they encompass everything that sports should represent.

In a time where clubs charge £77 for tickets and clubs throw cash at any problem, it is well-worth noting that Leicester City’s starting line-up against Manchester City at the weekend cost £23m to put together. To put that into perspective, that’s less than what City spent on Yaya Toure, David Silva, Eliaquim Mangala or Nicolas Otamendi alone. That’s also less than half of what City spent on Kevin de Bruyne or Raheem Sterling. In fact, City’s starting line-up was ten times more expensive than Leicester’s. With TV money going up, clubs forget that this should still be a game about the fans.

Leicester embodies the true value of sports—hard work and a certain quiet ruggedness to the way they play. They’re difficult to break down and they counter-attack at lightning speed. Jamie Vardy's own story from rags to riches, breaking the Premier League record for scoring in 11 consecutive games was a result of sheer determination and desire. The experience of Robert Huth and Wes Morgan provides solid cover in front of a very reliable Kasper Schmeichel. The silky movement and direct approach of Riyad Mahrez, coupled with his ability to pick out passes, allow Leicester to move the ball up the field in a shorter amount of time. The persistence of Vardy and Shinji Okazaki up front, chasing down every loose ball, not only allow Leicester to play 4-4-2 with more firepower up front but also aid their defensive side of the game. Their workhorse-like attitude while hassling defenders unsettles any opposing team.

In midfield they have one of the most persistent and consistent performers in N’Golo Kante, who might turn out to be the signing of the season. He has some of the highest numbers in tackles and interceptions this season, which have allowed Leicester to recover the ball and push forward quickly from the back.

Teamwork, hard work and an underdog beating all odds to claim the title in an age where money and dirty politics have dominated the sport?  As big names and clubs struggle to make an impact, it is the lesser-known team with the lesser-known players that have gelled together to punch way above their weight. That’s a romantic fairytale that anyone can get behind.