Red Jumpsuit Apparatus fails to move forward

Even for those who have never heard the name "The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus," the band's hit single "Face Down" almost certainly rings a bell. In 2006, on the strength of the aforementioned song from this Florida-based quartet's debut album "Don't You Fake It," The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (RJA) quietly made a splash with emo kids and pop-punkers alike. After extensive touring, the guys have returned with their sophomore effort "Lonely Road" (2009).

Nothing about "Lonely Road" will raise eyebrows. Sticking to the formula that worked so effectively on the band's first album, "Lonely Road" is full of wailing guitars, high-pitched vocals and cringe-worthy, sappy lyrics. Fortunately for RJA, they are one of only a handful of bands that can make this potentially terrible formula work. "Lonely Road" is not a bad album by any stretch, but the vast majority of its songs are simply re-imagined versions of one another. The album is neither overly derivative nor experimental but resides comfortably in a musical safety zone.

Easily the most impressive aspect of "Lonely Road" is lead singer Ronnie Winter's vocal talent. Pushing his range on this album, Winter manages to hit high notes which would make even Chris Carraba of Dashboard Confessional jealous. Winter also manages to provide well-tempered, screaming vocals that are mixed into the background of many of the songs. Winter's dynamic range helps hold the album together and sets RJA apart from the myriad of other carbon-copy emo bands that have jumped on the scene's bandwagon.

The album's opening track and lead single, "You Better Pray," is surprisingly the most experimental track on the album. On this track, RJA does its best Jet impression both vocally and instrumentally. With screaming electric guitars, the pseudo-garage rock sound is interesting, but it is clear that this is not territory that RJA is familiar with. It's obvious to listeners that none of the band members can completely relax into a more rocking style of music.

Despite the band's attempt to try something new with "You Better Pray," RJA immediately falls back into its pop sound on the album's second track "No Spell." Catchy and upbeat, "No Spell" quickly quells any of RJA fans' fears that the band might have changed its sound in the three years between albums. Once back to the old pop routine, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus never strays too far from this high-energy pop sound over the rest of the album. The repetitiveness and unwillingness to experiment is the core problem of RJA's sophomore effort.

"Lonely Road" has low replay value because many of the songs on the album have a very similar sound; they tend to blend together if the album is listened to in its entirety. There are a few songs on "Lonely Road" that stand out, and these will surely be released as future singles. The Fall Out Boy-influenced "Step Right Up," with its punchy verses and an infectious chorus, could very well be this album's "Face Down." On the track, like on many other RJA songs, Winter sings about his regrets over a lost love: "I wish I could turn back time/ Or maybe rewind/ I would find you when we were younger/ So we could spend our time on earth together longer." Sappy lyrics are another characteristic of "Lonely Road" which RJA seems unwilling to change or even try to experiment with.

Fans of "Don't You Fake It" will not be disappointed by the new Red Jumpsuit Apparatus release. Sticking close to the formula which won them to fame in 2006, the boys from RJA return with a successful but unimaginative showing replete with Ronnie Winter's extraordinary vocal talent and emotive lyrics. Now if we could only figure out what the heck a Red Jumpsuit Apparatus actually is.