Outfield sleepers and busts

Due to the sheer volume of viable fantasy outfielders, I will only be discussing several sleepers and busts for your upcoming drafts.

Jorge Soler has been discussed for a long time in fantasy circles, but he belongs on my sleeper list because ESPN has him listed as their No. 38 outfielder. I have him ranked 26th after he posted a line of .325/20/53/77 at four different levels in 2014.

Soler is already penciled in as the Cubs' starting right fielder and will have plenty of run-scoring and run-producing opportunities in a young, potent offense. Kris Bryant and Javier Baez are the Cubs' prospects that have been receiving the most buzz, but Soler has a lower strikeout rate than both of them and has no one to battle for his job.

Washington's Jayson Werth is another guy that I would draft above his Average Draft Position (ADP). He has consistently hit around .300 for four consecutive seasons, is a lock for 80 runs and RBIs when healthy and will hit between 15 and 25 HRs this season. If he hits north of .300 with 25 HRs, he becomes a clear top-25 option.

Werth is an especially great option in leagues where walks matter, as is his teammate, Denard Span. After the All-Star break, the Nationals center fielder hit .346 with 16 SBs. In addition to filling out those two categories, Span will almost certainly be among the league leaders in runs scored, the most forgotten offensive category in fantasy.

In the AL, I think Dalton Pompey is not getting enough respect. ESPN has him ranked 72nd, but I have him 18 spots ahead of that. He hit .304 at five levels last year, but his best quality is his speed. He swiped 53 bags last season and since Michael Saunders has undergone knee surgery, Pompey is a lock to start in Toronto’s outfield on opening day.

In terms of fantasy busts, I have never understood people’s fascination with Jason Heyward. He had one great year in 2012, but before and since then, he has always finished below his ADP. Over the past two seasons, he has averaged 12.5 HRs, 48 RBIs, and 11 SBs. He also has a career .262 average, so why does this injury prone outfielder deserve to be ranked inside ESPN’s top 25? Fantasy analysts say every year that the breakout is coming, but I am tired of waiting.

Another player I will be avoiding is Yoenis Cespedes. The Tigers' new outfielder is a great, not elite power hitter. He is a career .263 hitter and has never hit over 26 HRs. Average, 20+ HR guys can be found much later in the draft. Cespedes is ranked 17th on ESPN, but Oswaldo Arcia and Marlon Byrd’s lines look eerily similar to Cespedes’ 2014. Those two are ranked 49th and 80th, respectively. I am not saying they will outperform the Tigers outfielder, but they will be close enough so that I cannot justify drafting Cespedes at his ADP.

Finally, though I have no problem with Mookie Betts’ skill set, playing time is a major issue for him. He will undoubtedly be the Red Sox' starting right-fielder before the All-Star break, but for now, he is nothing more than a highly-touted platoon center fielder. He is ranked 30th on ESPN, ahead of guys such as Ben Revere, Gregory Polanco and Melky Cabrera. When I draft a top-30 outfielder, he better be penciled in to play everyday.

More Potential Sleepers: Jake Marisnick, Torii Hunter, Khris Davis, Austin Jackson, Steven Souza, Charlie Blackmon.

More Potential Busts: Bryce Harper, Ryan Braun, Avisail Garcia, Wil Myers, Steve Pearce, Alex Rios.