The Venice Biennale: A celebration of contemporary art and cultural dialogue

The international art festival returns to Italy for its 60th installment this year.

La-biennale-di-venezia-art-biennale-aktionsraum-linkz-european-cultural-centre-guardians-of-time-manfred-kielnhofer-art-event-gallery-museum-8922.jpg

The 2020 Venice Biennale is pictured.

The La Biennale di Venezia is one of the most prestigious events in the art world and returning in 2024 to captivate audiences with an exhibition of contemporary visual art. Established in 1895, the Biennale has evolved into a platform that showcases the latest trends, innovations and perspectives in the realm of visual arts, architecture, cinema, dance, music and theater. This iconic art event is held every two years in Venice, Italy (a separate festival featuring architecture is held on odd-numbered years) and attracts artists, curators, collectors, critics and art enthusiasts from around the globe.

Central to each edition of the Venice Biennale is a theme that serves as a guiding principle for participating artists and curators. The theme for the 2024 edition is “Stranieri Ovunque  Foreigners Everywhere.” The 60th International Art Exhibition, curated by Adriano Pedrosa, will be open this year from April 20 to Nov. 24 at the Giardini della Biennale and the Arsenale, two popular art venues.

The exhibition’s theme is drawn from a series of artworks created by the Palermo-based collective Claire Fontaine, consisting of differently colored neon sculptures with the words “Foreigners Everywhere” displayed in an increasing number of languages. The phrase originated from the name of a Turin collective who fought against xenophobia and racism in Italy in the early 21st century.

The expression “Stranieri Ovunque” can have multiple meanings. It can be interpreted to mean that wherever you go, wherever you are, you will always encounter foreigners since they — we — are everywhere. It can also mean that no matter where you are, you will always be, truly, a foreigner.

At its core, “Foreigners Everywhere” challenges conventional notions of belonging and citizenship, highlighting the fluidity and multiplicity of identities in an increasingly interconnected world. By foregrounding the experiences of “foreigners” — those who exist on the margins of society or inhabit liminal spaces between cultures — the Biennale offers a platform for marginalized voices to be heard and recognized.

The choice of venues, the Giardini and Arsenale, adds an additional layer of significance to the Biennale, as these historic sites serve as symbolic spaces of encounter and exchange. The juxtaposition of contemporary artworks within these iconic settings creates a dynamic dialogue between past and present, tradition and innovation, anchoring the themes of the Biennale in a rich historical context while also inviting exploration of the pressing issues of our time.

Additionally, the national pavilions at the Venice Biennale provide a platform for participating countries to showcase the work of their artists on an international stage. From the architectural marvel of the British Pavilion to the avant-garde installations of the Nordic Pavilion, these national representations offer insight into the cultural landscapes and artistic practices of diverse nations.

Beyond the main exhibition spaces, the Biennale extends its reach throughout the city of Venice with collateral events and satellite exhibitions hosted in galleries, museums and public spaces throughout the historic city. These off-site installations and performances contribute to the vibrant atmosphere of cultural exchange that permeates Venice during the Biennale.

In response to the challenges posed by the global pandemic and digital technology, the 2024 Venice Biennale embraces innovative approaches to engage with audiences worldwide. Virtual tours, livestreamed events and digital platforms offer opportunities for remote participation, allowing individuals from all corners of the globe to experience the Biennale's exhibitions and programming.

Beyond its role as a showcase for contemporary art, the Venice Biennale serves as a catalyst for critical discourse and cultural exchange. Through panel discussions, symposia and educational programs, the Biennale fosters dialogue among artists, scholars and the public, addressing pressing issues and exploring alternative visions for the future. Furthermore, the Biennale’s influence extends beyond the realm of art, shaping broader conversations about identity, society and the environment. By confronting pressing global challenges and interrogating established narratives, the Biennale encourages participants and audiences alike to reflect on their own interconnected realities and to envision new possibilities for collective action and transformation.

As the 2024 Venice Biennale unfolds, it reaffirms its position as a beacon of artistic innovation and cultural exchange on the world stage. If you’re visiting Venice in the upcoming months, you should go check it out!