Dining Services currently holding naming competition for Kosher Deli

Dining Services is currently holding a naming competition for the newly-opened Kosher Deli.

According to Patti Klos, director of Dining and Business Services, the deli was initially named the Kosher Deli in order to let students know that the food offered is glatt kosher. However, the plain designation of the Kosher Deli was not viewed as a viable long-term name.

“It’s not very often that we launch a new service or a new program,” Klos said. “We think that when you communicate about these services and programs it’s helpful to actually have names.”

Klos explained that Dining Services aims to personalize the Kosher Deli by giving it a popular and exciting name. Dining Services is inviting students to submit names in an online competition, she said. The new name does not need to include the word “kosher.”

“We launched this site where you can submit the name, and the deadline is midnight on the 31st of January,” she said. “I’m reaching out to some faculty and staff [for a selection committee], and we’ll ask the Hillel organization as well to see if there is a student who might volunteer to be on our selection committee.”

The selection committee will judge all the submitted names and produce a list of the top three or four names, Klos explained. Ultimately, Dining Services will choose one of the names from the finalist pool to be the new name for the Kosher Deli.

“Hopefully ... before March, we’ll be able to settle on a name,” Klos said.

As a reward for winning the contest, Klos noted that the person who submits the winning name will be invited to help develop a new menu item for the Kosher Deli which will bear their name.

“Over time I’ve had students contact me and ask if they can have a menu item named after them ... so when we can do that, we do that,” she said.